Chapter 17

The bramble surrounding the patrol shook viciously as the scent of MistClan cats grew stronger, causing Scarpaw's neck fur to prickle in fear. Four cats she didn't recognize burst out from their hiding spots, surrounding their group from each side. Maskpaw crouched low, hissing viciously at a burly looking apprentice in from of him, and the rest of their group seemed too surprised to follow. One MistClan cat stepped forward, flattening his ears and confronting Snowstar without fear. His pale curly pelt seemed almost un-touched by the thick mist, and he eyed the older leader with a cold gaze. Scarpaw felt her heart rising up to her throat.

      "Snowstar," the curly-haired tom growled, "what is this? A battle patrol?" The other MistClan cast hissed loudly, stalking slowly closer to the others. Scarpaw growled at a larger warrior in front of her, sizing him up in case a fight broke out. Snowstar looked back into the tom's eyes with the same hostility.

      "Sheepfur. You and your warriors can rest easy; I'm bringing these apprentices to the Stone-hollow. We were just passing through." Sheepfur flicked an ear, watching the other RainClan cats curiously. His gaze rested on Scarpaw, and she held it, praying that her fear scent hadn't yet reached the cats around her. Sheepfur turned his head back to their leader.

      "You've brought two warriors with you."

      "You wouldn't take four apprentices across the forest without the help of stronger warriors, would you?"

      Sheepfur grunted, "I suppose not. But Crowstar will want to hear about this; you'll be coming with me."

      Owltail growled, and Maskpaw stepped forward, lashing his tail back and forth.

      "We'll be doing no such thing! You dare question the words of our leader?" Snowstar swung around, anger flashing in his eyes.

      "Hush, Maskpaw! You're in no place to spit orders at these cats. Keep your mouth shut, or I'll rethink allowing you into the Stone-hollow!"

      Maskpaw shrunk back in shock, silent as a mouse, but Scarpaw could almost feel the fury radiating off of his tortoiseshell fur. It took every muscle in Scarpaw's body not to snicker at the fierce scolding.

      Snowstar turned his head to look back at Sheepfur. "We will follow you, but we must hurry. These apprentices must see the hollow before nightfall." Sheepfur bowed his head, ignoring Maskpaw's previous outburst, then addressed his warriors with a flick of his tail. He turned to walk out into the open plains, and the group followed, flanked by the rest of the MistClan patrol. Scarpaw recognized Bushpaw, walking near Maskpaw, and locked eyes with him. There was hostility hidden there, but he gave her a curt nod, almost as if saying, "congratulations".

      The patrol passed close to a strange, unfamiliar creature, grazing on the dew-wet grass.

      "What is that?", Leopardpaw whispered, lowering herself closer to the ground. A smaller calico warrior answered, "That's a sheep. They're mostly harmless, as long as you stay away from their clumsy feet. The real danger comes from the dog that controls them." Sparkpaw's fur prickled, eyeing the warrior with shock.

      "Dog? You live out here with a dog?"

      Sheepfur glanced back at him, amusement shining in his gaze.

      "We live in these plains. The dog only appears from time to time, and he tends to stay away from our camp. He's learned many times to keep away, or else." Sparkpaw and Leopardpaw looked to eachother in confusion, and Scarpaw flicked her tail in agreement. Everything about these cats set her on edge.

      The scent of MistClan grew even stronger, and the patrols speed began to increase. They were far out into the plains now, and they ran down a small hill, exposing the camp. It was hidden from the far away brambles; Scarpaw hadn't even seen it from where they previously stood, near the pines.

      The camp itself seemed small, with scattered bush-trees surrounding the outer edge. They hid a small pool of water and stones, and thin dens scattered the open grass. Cats began to emerge, staring wide eye'd at the patrol, some bristling with hostility. Sheepfur whispered some words with a larger she-cat, who nodded and bounded off towards the pool with stones.

      Toadface reached down towards Scarpaw to whisper, "Sheepfur is their deputy. He's a fair warrior, and Crowstar is a reasonable leader; we'll be fine." He then added, "Your fear scent is strong. Don't let them know you're afraid; stand with pride."

      Scarpaw blinked, nodding, and took a few deep breaths as the she-cat returned, Crowstar following her. His eyes narrowed at the sight of Snowstar, and he stalked closer, standing tall and menacing. Snowstar bowed his head.

      "Snowstar, what is this? Why did my warriors bring you here?" He glanced at the apprentices, then flicked an ear. "Are you on your way to the Stone-hollow?"

      Snowstar nodded. "Yes. We would not have made the trip if we took the route around the ravine; this was our only option. I apologize."

      Crowstar blinked, all hostility suddenly replaced with a noble respect. "There is no need. You have made this journey many times before, and you are welcome to again. I am pleased to see that RainClan will soon be accepting these fine apprentices as warriors." he sighed, looking towards Snowstar. "After the last gathering, I'm surprised you chose this route, through their territory."

      "They prove no threat to us," Snowstar mewed, "and they know it." The two leaders stared at each other for a moment, a silent understanding passing through them. Scarpaw could see familiarity there, like two old friends. Crowstar let his gaze rest over the apprentices again, showing a small grin. 

      "Your apprentices are strong, Snowstar. I wish you all the best of luck."

      Scarpaw bowed her head towards the dark leader, pride making her fur warm. The others followed, but Maskpaw seemed apprehensive. The mysterious leader's praise was unexpected, and for once, she could understand how he felt. Everything about this territory seemed strange and unnatural to her.

      "Well, I shouldn't keep you much longer, if you are to reach the Stone-hollow. I apologize for the confusion." Crowstar lifted his head, waving his tail at the nearby patrol of MistClan cats still standing nearby. "Sheepfur, Puddlepelt, Hailfleck, please escort these cats back to the pines."

      With one last bow of his head, Crowstar turned away to walk back to his den in the stones. The she-cat from before came padding up, along with the calico tom Scarpaw had faced, Sheepfur with them. All hostility had faded from their expressions, and Sheepfur nodded towards the RainClan patrol, leading them back up the hill and out of camp without a word.

      "Do we really need an escort?" Leopardpaw mumbled into her ear. Owltail overheard, whispering, "These plains are much larger than you'd expect, and the mist here causes confusion. Plus, you heard what he said about the dog; we should be thankful." Leopardpaw grumbled, still frustrated from having their travel delayed, as they padded back towards the grazing sheep. The thin line of pines ahead was barely visible in the thick wet haze.

      When the line of bramble finally became clear, Sheepfur had exchanged some parting words with Snowstar in a hushed voice and then bounded off through the mist. Scarpaw was surprised to see that after a few paw-steps, they had disappeared, almost like silvery StarClan warriors disappearing from a dream.

      "We must hurry now," Snowstar growled, "this visit has taken up a lot of time. Look; the sun is already sinking." Scarpaw followed his gaze to see the sky already tinting orange; the mist had covered their view of the sky, and no one seemed to have realized how much time had been wasted already in MistClan territory.

      They padded deeper into the pine forest, straying as far from the misty cloud as possible. Here the trees seemed denser, and Scarpaw felt lush ferns underneath her paws. The tall trees cast long, ominous shadows onto the forest floor, like giant cats stalking their every step.

      The Stone-hollow couldn't be far away now.