Chapter 12

Running through the clearing, Scarpaw carefully searched each cat, however she wasn't exactly sure what she was searching for. It had been many, many moons since she last saw her sister; right before they were apprenticed, in fact. Scarpaw's memory of Hawkpaw was faded and hazy, like a distant dream. There was too much time inbetween the two cats, and each step brought more uncertainty. The last time she had seen her sister, Hawkpaw was furious at her for betraying their birth clan. Her sister wanted nothing to do with her, and Scarpaw feared her sister's resentment towards her had not yet dissolved.
      Turning a corner, Scarpaw caught hold of a sickeningly familiar scent; it sent a cold chill of anxiety through her body, yet also filled her heart with joy. It was her sisters scent, from somewhere nearby- Hawkpaw was here!
      However she was too late, because right at that moment a shrill yowl sounded from the highest stone in the center of the clearing. All chatter in the clearing quickly faded as the four great leaders stood from their point near the jagged stones, gazing down at all the clans with eyes that glittered like they were made from stars. Crowstar stepped forward, his lean black pelt shining like silver under the full moon. Scarpaw's joy turned to frustration as she quickly made her way towards the rest of RainClan, who were gathering near the center of the clearing, and abandoned her hope of finding Hawkpaw in the clearing.

      "Cats of all clans, it is an honor to stand here tonight before you and begin this Gathering." Every cat's eyes were turned towards him as he spoke, anticipation silently rippling through the crowd. 

      "New-leaf has been generous to us, and prey thrives in the fields..." He went on to describe the everyday wellbeing of his clan, including a new litter of kits being born. There were respectful nods and murmering throughout the crowd, and once he was finished Pebblestar stepped forward. His massive size made the other leaders seem small, and his cold gaze struck Scarpaw to the core. She had heard stories of the great leader from warriors and elders, but had never been so close to see him in the flesh. Remembering this was the leader who had led the attack on her home-clan that resulted in her fathers death, Scarpaw felt her fur prickle and she sent a silent prayer to ScarClan that she would never have to face this monster of a cat on the battlefield.

      "Cats of all clans, I speak for the needs and wellbeing of ThornClan as a whole. Last leaf-bare was vicious to us, sweeping heavy winds throughout our open plains and killing the undergrowth, resulting in scarce prey. For my clan, this new-leaf brings heavy challenges rather than prosperity." He glanced at Crowstar, who was watching with steady eyes. Snowstar and Tanglestar stood silently, listening with pricked ears but keeping their eyes forward. Pebblestar looked back down into the clearing.

      "We've come to ask Snowstar, as well as the cats of RainClan, for hunting rights on their edge of the Great Lake." Before Pebblestar had finished his proposal, yowls and hisses of protest broke out among RainClan below, including Scarpaw. Snowstar's neck fur rose as well, but he kept his mouth shut, letting Pebblestar finish. He had nothing left to say however, and Snowstar took a heavy step forward, a glint of fury in his eyes but his voice steady.
"You feel the need to ask, Pebblestar, after we already caught your hunting patrol on our territory?" A few hisses of protest sounded from the crowd of ThornClan cats, but Snowstar was not finished. 

       "My warriors found scattered remains of crow-food around the lake, and not long afterwards your patrol murdered Pepperpelt in cold blood. What reason do I have to give you a share of our precious hunting grounds, when we struggle enough with feeding ourselves?" There were other sounds of shock throughout the clearing from many different cats. Pepperpelt was popular throughout all the clans, and her death must've come as a shock to not just RainClan, but the entire forest. Scarpaw could see Stormspirit's hackles shaking in pure fury near the front of the crowd, the deep scars over his eye reminding her of the heavy pain he must still carry and the importance Snowstar's words must hold for her mentor.
      Pebblestar's eyes were small slits, glaring darkly at the older leader. Scarpaw could see Quickpaw crouched with ears flat across the clearing, hissing with fury at Woodpaw, who showed the same hostility. The two had been so friendly before, and now it seemed as if in a single moment they could slash eachothers throats.