Chapter 20

Racing among the ferns, Scarpaw found comfort in the warmth of Sparkpaw's pelt brushing against hers. The uneasiness from Snowstar's sudden outburst hung heavy in the air, but no one dared to speak or ask any questions; he seemed to have a good reason for wanting to hurry back to camp, and the patrol followed his speed without question.

      Climbing in and out of the Stone-hollow, the patrol found their way back to the lake's edge, racing along ThornClan's borders. Scarpaw stopped to see if there were any fresh scents that may signal an attack, but there was nothing; in fact, it almost seemed like no ThornClan cat had renewed their borders in a long time.

      Once they got deeper into RainClan territory, a powerful fear-scent hung heavy in the air. Looking to Leopardpaw, Scarpaw saw panic in her eyes. Something was very wrong. Snowstar slowed his pace near the mud-hollow, and suddenly Nightbreeze's lithe frame burst through the undergrowth, her sides heaving with the struggle to breathe. At the sight of the patrol, her eyes widened, too surprised to even give them a proper greeting.

      "Snowstar, you must return to camp; there's been a disaster." 

      Flattening his ears, he responded, "What kind of disaster?"

      "I-It's Rosegaze," her voice broke as she continued, "she's dead."

      Bursting through the mangrove tunnel, Scarpaw instantly noticed Woodpaw crouched in the center of the clearing with Sagefur, wailing; the older warrior at his side simply gazing unseeing at a distant spot between the trees. Rosegaze was their mother. Dawnleaf and Berryface sat close together, grief-stricken, and the other wandering cats seemed wild with panic. At the sight of their leader, the whole clearing went silent, eyes watching him with quiet fear. Snowstar stepped forward, pelt prickling, to where Suntail was standing beside the Half-tree.

      "Where is her body?" Snowstar whispered. Suntail looked uncomfortable, and Stormspirit came padding over with the same expression. 

      "I was out on patrol with Suntail and Woodpaw, when there was a scream. We followed the fear-scent past the black-tree, when we started to smell blood."

      "A lot of blood," Suntail whispered. Stormspirit looked to his paws before speaking again.

      "The trail ended at the river. There was blood everywhere, scattered all along the shore and the ferns. Her body wasn't there, but her fur was scattered everywhere."

      "It was her," Woodpaw croaked, "that was her scream. I know it."

      Suntail nodded, "Her scent was all over the place; It was Rosegaze for sure." Snowstar slowly lowered his head, overcome with shock. There were hidden thoughts swimming around in his eyes like minnows. Toadface walked up, his face lowered in pain, and Stormspirit touched his shoulder with his tail in silent support.

      Was the beautiful she-cat Toadface's mate?

      The tenderness of Stormspirit & Toadface's friendship hit Scarpaw like a wave, and it was hard to believe that she had ever had mistrust in the disfigured warrior.

      Snowstar took a shaky breath, turning towards Webear, who had just padded up, looking exasperated. "Was she expecting?" his voice came as merely a whisper, and after a moment of silence, Webear bowed her head. Toadface stumbled away in horror, running out of camp, with Stormspirit worriedly calling after him. The ground seemed to crumble under Scarpaw as her breath hitched, overcome with emotion. Snowstar shut his eyes against his own thoughts, shaking with grief, and mumbled, "Right now, we will hold the vigil that Rosegaze and her kits deserve."