Chapter 25

Through the pelting rain in her eyes, Scarpaw could make out the brambles leading towards the stream up ahead. She lifted her tail to warn the other apprentices, coming to a halt, using the storm to her advantage; Woodpaw had to be up ahead, and she had a feeling that rushing into this situation would only make things worse.

        The other apprentices followed, keeping their bodies low to the mud, as Scarpaw crept forward to peek through the leaves. The stream was pulsing violently, deadly currents threatening to pull a cat under and never let go. She found Woodpaw hunched over, dangerously close to the edge, ears flat against the harsh wind and staring blankly into the dark water. The soft soil he stood on was corroding in the water at his paws.

         He's going to be pulled in! She thought frantically.

         "Woodpaw!", she called, emerging from their hiding place. The other apprentices were hesitant to follow, Leopardpaw and Maskpaw exchanging worried glances, as Sparkpaw kept his eyes trained on Scarpaw. Woodpaw didn't even flinch at his name being called through the booming thunder.

       "Woodpaw," she screeched again, "what do you think you're doing? You have to get away from the edge, now!" A harsh gale of wind almost swept Scarpaw off her feet. She lowered her body to the ground, unsheathing her claws to try and dig into the mud, while Woodpaw continued to stand at the edge. His small form was being tossed side to side by the wind around him, yet his eyes stayed trained ahead, glassy and clouded with shock. He lifted his head slowly towards the apprentices, blinking rain away as he shook his head, slowly.

      "This is what I deserve," he called over the storm, "You shouldn't be here. You should just leave me alone." Leopardpaw hissed, padding to stand at Scarpaw's side. 

      "Tell us whats going on, Woodpaw. This is madness!" He only took another step closer to the edge, turning his head towards the raging water. His eyes were glassy, focused on something in the churning waves that no one could see. If she didn't do something now, Woodpaw would be swept under, and she would be helpless. All the while the apprentices struggled to keep themselves steady, and Scarpaw kept her gaze locked onto Woodpaw.

      "I've failed as an apprentice," Woodpaw growled, "and I only get in the way of his plans. I'm not going to be a warrior like you." He was speaking directly to her now, and she began padding towards him, feeling the ground sink below her. If she could just get within tail length of him, she could bite onto him and yank him to steady ground. However, one paw-step too close and the ground around them both may collapse. She had to get him to walk towards her.

      "Venomsight has always been hard on you for no reason, Woodpaw," she mewed, "but that's all it is, right? What plan are you talking about?" Woodpaw locked eyes with her, blinking rain away.

      "He wanted a son. I wanted to be that for him, but I can't; I'm not good enough. Pebblestar promised Opal would bear him a son, so I'm not needed anymore." Tears streamed down his cheeks, ears flat. "I never knew my father, and now my mother is dead. No one wants me now." 

      "We want you," Scarpaw yowled, testing the soil in front of her. It was too soft, and she was running out of time; the rushing water was beginning to lose its patience. "Venomsight has planted these thoughts in your head; none of them are true. You don't need him, you have us, Woodpaw!" A glimmer shined in his eyes for a moment, seeing her for the first time. So much pain and loneliness swam through his pale yellow gaze, dreams that never came true.

      "I don't want to die," he finally whispered, attempting to take a step towards her. 'Almost there!' she thought.

      "Then get away from the water," she yowled, "and lets get our revenge on Venomsight together. We can finally expose him to the clan; you can bring justice to your mother! To Pepperpelt!" Woodpaw was frantic now, suddenly aware of where he stood. He nodded, keeping eye contact with Scarpaw, as he prepared to leap. She was ready to catch him. All of her focus was concentrated on the small cat in front of her, and for a moment, the malicious storm around her seemed to freeze. All the wind and thunder, all of the pelting rain went silent, a sense of calm. Nothingness. It all happened so fast.

      The churning mud at his paws, giving away to the hungry waves.

      The soft soil lending no help as his claws slashed through the air, searching for something, anything, to catch onto.

      His small silhouette outlined in the dark sky with a strike of lightning, leaving Scarpaw bolting forward, screaming Woodpaw's name, and Leopardpaw biting down deep into her scruff to keep her friend from following in his paw-steps. The other apprentices were calling her name now, saying things she couldn't hear; his frail body being dragged under the waves, attempting to keep his head above the surface but too weak to fight the raging river played over and over in her mind, the only sound being the pulsing of blood in her ears. She was being dragged away from the edge, no longer able to find him as he was swept downstream; The trees and bramble around her was all a blur. She found the ground under her paws, beginning to run alongside the others, who guided her forward. The sound of the storm came rushing back to her now, loud and piercing, along with the panicked breaths and sounds of her friends. Looking around, Scarpaw had Leopardpaw and Maskpaw at her sides; Sparkpaw wasn't with them. 

      "I sent him to get help back at camp," Leopardpaw called, her voice heavy with fear and sounding unnatural above the booming thunder. "Were going to stop Venomsight right here, right now."

      They were headed for Thornclan territory.