Chapter 15

Scarpaw let out a loud battle cry as she swung herself forward, crashing into her target and dragging the battle down to the crisp grass. She wrestled Stormspirit with sheathed claws until she faltered for a moment, and he swatted her away with a heavy paw, causing her to roll sideways and get a mouthful of wet soil. Shaking her head, Scarpaw grunted in annoyance.

      "Great job," Stormspirit chuckled, standing to shake stray grass off of his grey pelt. "Good thing you remembered to keep your claws sheathed this time, or I would've been crow-food." Scarpaw licked a paw to bring it behind her ear.

      "Leopardpaw taught me that one. She says force is the key." Stormspirit nodded, shutting his eyes momentarily against the crisp breeze.

      "She has a point. However, without stealth and strategy, force wont get you anywhere. Before power, outsmarting your enemy will always bend the fight in your favor." Scarpaw twitched her tail in agreement.

      The two were out by the river going over usual battle training until Nightbreeze appeared from within the thick bramble, signaling towards Stormspirit with her long tail.

      "Snowstar ordered me to call for you both. He says its urgent," she mewed, but her expression betrayed the seriousness of her words. Stormspirit blinked at her, then back at Scarpaw, shrugging.

      "Come on, then. I suppose we've done enough of this for today; I don't want to keep Snowstar waiting, for whatever reason." Nightbreeze nodded, adding more warmly, "I can walk back to camp with you." Stormspirit seemed to brighten at her offer, and Scarpaw twitched her whiskers at her mentors reaction. The death of Pepperpelt came as a heavy burden on Stormspirit, however he seemed to be growing stronger each day, and the presence of Nightbreeze only helped with his recovery; the bond between the two was very clear. Hurrying after the two through thick RainClan territory, Scarpaw tried not to let the urgency of the she-cat's message bother her. New-leaf was upon them, and the scent of green and growing things calmed the apprentice and filled her with renewed energy as she traveled on; even the distance sound of the river seemed to whisper encouragements of opportunity in her ears.

      Before Scarpaw could squeeze through the thin entrance leading into camp, Venomsight pushed his way out, barreling her out of the way with a heavy thud. His pelt was pricked and his eyes were narrow slits as he stopped, turning towards the shocked apprentice who was now on the ground. He said nothing, and his annoyance only seemed to grow as he scoffed, and Scarpaw watched him stalk into the thick RainClan territory, out of sight. She blinked, shaking her head and getting back on her paws, staring surprised at the shaking bramble where the dark warrior had disappeared into. She cautiously padded through the camp entrance after hearing Stormspirit calling for her, still watching the marshy woods ahead. Venomsight's behavior only added more worry to her thoughts on Nightbreeze's urgent message concerning Snowstar.

      Inside the camp, Dawnleaf and her kits were relaxing in the warm sun, and a few warriors were watching her from the fresh-kill pile. Woodpaw was picking at a skinny vole alone near the apprentice's den, not turning to greet her as she walked into camp. She remembered their last encounter with a twinge of anxiety. The apprentice's mood hadn't seemed to improve since her and Leopardpaw found him sneaking out of camp, and while the incident stayed between them, Scarpaw still noticed a growing distance between the two. Venomsight's raging temper didn't help, and Scarpaw still felt an unease that something was going on that she didn't yet understand.

      As she padded further in, Scarpaw noticed Stormspirit, Nightbreeze, Toadface, Owltail, and Snowstar sitting together near the Half-tree, with Sparkpaw, Leopardpaw, and Maskpaw among them. Shaking away the incident at the camp entrance, Scarpaw curiously bounded over towards the group. Snowstar welcomed her with a wave of his tail, and Leopardpaw and Sparkpaw also mewed friendly words of greeting. Only Maskpaw stayed silent.

      "Welcome, Scarpaw," Snowstar started, "I apologize for interrupting your training sessions, you four, but I bring you here with more important matters." Scarpaw flicked her ears, and Leopardpaw shot her a confused look. Snowstar turned towards their mentors.

      "These four apprentices have proved themselves many times over, and have shown great signs of courage and honor. I believe it is time for us to take a trip to the Stone-hollow."

      Scarpaw's pelt stood on end, pride making her eyes light up against the warm sun rays. Leopardpaw squealed next to her, causing Owltail to shoot her a warning glance, and Sparkpaw and Maskpaw simply stared in happy astonishment. All apprentices from each clan had to visit the Stone-hollow before becoming a warrior, and it was seen as a great honor to make the journey alongside your leader. Stormspirit licked in-between Scarpaw's ears as the other mentors sat with pride.

      "The journey is a long one, and we'll be traveling through dangerous territory that you have yet to experience. All four of you will accompany me, but I will only be taking Owltail and Toadface as warriors- we need Stormspirit and Nightbreeze here to defend the camp. The other clans have been quiet since the last gathering, but I don't want to take any chances of leaving the camp too unguarded." Stormspirit and Nightbreeze both bowed their heads, neither seeming upset about being left behind. Scarpaw guessed it was because they'd be together without their mentor duties for the day, and she couldn't help but twitch her whiskers in amusement.

      "Understood, Snowstar. The camp will be kept safe while you're away," Stormspirit mewed. Snowstar nodded.

      "Good. I have faith in you both, as well as the other warriors. Suntail will take momentary charge for the day, as per usual."

      "When will we be leaving?" Maskpaw mewed, a sense of urgency in his voice.

      "We will leave the camp at dawn, so make sure to get some fresh-kill and plenty of rest. You cannot eat during the trip, so I'll have Webear prepare traveling herbs for all of you." Snowstar beckoned to the apprentices, as well as Toadface and Owltail, who both nodded. Scarpaw and Leopardpaw scrunched up their noses in disgust at the mention of the herbs. Snowstar flicked his ears to acknowledge their reactions.

      "They're essential to the trip. You'll need plenty of energy and strength to reach the Stone-hollow before nightfall."

      "I'll take my chances," Leopardpaw mumbled under her breath.

      With a few final words, the group parted, apprentices relieved from their duties for the remainder of the day. Only Scarpaw remained by Snowstar's side now, and she looked up at him, a question still heavy on her mind.

      "Snowstar, may I ask why Woodpaw won't be joining us to the Stone-hollow?" She had expected the leader to acknowledge this during their talk, and now she was left confused. His icy gaze was set on the camp entrance.

      "Woodpaw is a smart young cat with excellent potential, but... His progression hasn't yet caught up with his determination." Scarpaw looked at her paws, suddenly embarrassed at asking such a question so freely. Could it be that the reason for Venomsight's previous behavior was Snowstar refusing his apprentice the opportunity to travel to the Stone-hollow with the others? 

      Scarpaw stood to bow her head towards the leader, who looked down at her with a softer gaze.

      "I look forward to our venture tomorrow, Scarpaw. It's well deserved. Now go get some fresh-kill and rest; you'll need it for tomorrow, all of you." Scarpaw blinked gratefully up at the wise cat, then padded off to join the other apprentices outside the den. Excitement ran through the air like an electric current, and even Maskpaw kept his usual harsh remarks to himself. Tomorrow the four of them would be traveling to the most sacred spot in the forest, closest to StarClan than even Sky-rocks; the pride was enough to cause her whiskers to quiver. Pressing her flank close to Sparkpaw's own, Scarpaw almost didn't notice the small form of Woodpaw watching from the shadows of the apprentice den.