Chapter 2

After a successful hunting trip, the two cats bounded through the dense bushes and shrubs leading towards their camp with jaws full of prey. Scarpaw had difficulty catching the scent trail leading home, but she remembered the way back, scent or no scent. They reached a small murky stream running near some thorny bushes and stopped to mark their scent on the trail.

      "We're almost there. Not much farther now," Stormspirit mewed. The two continued along their way home, bounding through their marshy territory. Scarpaw felt the cicada songs vibrate through her chest, the buzz of insects in her ears, and felt at peace. Any time spent exploring Rainclan territory was cherished deeply by the apprentice. Out here, she could really be herself; back at camp, things were more complicated. 

      When the two cats finally reached the mangroves guarding around RainClan, they were exhausted. It had been a long sprint. Scarpaw slipped under a large mangrove root, leading into a large grassy clearing; RainClan. Most cats were chatting in the middle of the clearing, while some were milling around the dens. It was mid-day, and most of the morning patrols had already returned.

      Stormspirit nudged Scarpaw with his nose. "You can keep that muskrat; it was an impressive catch. Go and eat, you deserve some rest." Scarpaw nudged him back affectionately, and went to drop the other prey she had caught in the fresh-kill pile. She noticed with a prickle of pride that it was unusually full.
      Taking the muskrat, she then bounded off towards the apprentice den. It was tucked under an over-hanging tree trunk, with vines growing around it acting as a curtain. Thick bramble surrounded the sides, and the floor inside dipped down into a small ditch, with moss layed out on the floor for nests. Scarpaw pushed her way inside to find it was empty.

      The others must still be out training, she thought. She sunk down into her bed of moss, sighing to herself with relief. Her paws ached from today's training. Scarpaw quickly ate her muskrat, then closed her eyes to rest.

      "Scarpaw. Scarpaw, I swear, you better wake up! There's a meeting." Scarpaw's eyes flew open to see Leopardpaw, her friend, looking down on her, her eyes wide against the curtain of vines above them. 

      "Eh, huh? Meeting?" Scarpaw yawned, scrambling to her paws as Leopardpaw scratched at the ground. 

"Yes, a meeting. Snowstar recieved a message from Starclan and he's about to announce it to the clan!"

"Starclan?" Scarpaw looked past her spotted friend to see a crowd forming at the front of camp.

"Yes! Maskpaw told me earlier, while you were sleeping. He heard it from Sagefur who heard it from Webear while she was talking with Suntail, er, something like that... Now come on, come on!" Scarpaw's mind began racing with curiosity as the two she-cats ran out of the den towards the rest of the clan. There was a large tree stump surrounded by stones where they held their meetings. Snowstar, the clan leader, was just emerging from his den as they bounded up. It was a small cave made by the ancient stones behind the stump, surrounded with overhanging moss and vines. Scarpaw's tail twitched in excitement as Snowstar nodded, leaping up onto the stump, his bright white fur shining against the rays of the sun.

      There was no need for formalities seeing as how the majority of the clan had already made their way to the Half-tree with eager eyes, yet Snowstar was a cat of tradition, and spoke the familiar words regardless. "Cats of RainClan, gather underneath the Half-Tree for a clan meeting." The elders were the last to make their way towards the Half-Tree, their ears turned towards Snowstar curiously. The clan deputy, Suntail, leaped onto a flat stone underneath the Half-Tree, and nodded at Snowstar. He returned the gesture, sighing.

      "Last night, during my patrol with Suntail," she flicked her ears, "I recieved a message from StarClan." Murmers broke out within the clan. Leopardpaw turned her head swiftly towards Scarpaw, whispering, "See, I told you!" Leopardpaw opened her mouth to speak more, but stopped when Snowstar flicked his tail for silence. His expression seemed grim. 

"There is a darkness forming itself in this forest. Evil stalks the shadows beyond the marsh, coming from the two-leg territory past Thornclan. I saw a cat being driven off of a cliff by black, ferocious monsters. Starclan spoke, and the voices burned through my ears. They said, "blood, or clan.'"

      Scarpaw heard Rosegaze, a nearby queen, howl, "Why has Starclan abandoned us? Do they wish to see us driven out, injured? What about our kits? Are we safe?" Other cats began to join in with her panic, when Snowstar yowled for silence. All eyes stared at him, the scent of fear hanging strong in the air.

      "I am not yet sure what it means, but I am certain that it is not the wish of StarClan for suffering to be cast upon our kits." The queen gulped, her amber eyes wide but understanding. Snowstar looked back to the clan. "Yes, it is true that Starclan has been quiet. There has been many questions and few answers. This trouble with Thornclan as all of us looking over our shoulders, but we must not lose our senses; This is a blessing in disguise, warning, a message from Starclan meant to make keen our eyes through this coming darkness. Our ancestors are wise. Starclan is on our side. We mustn't lose our faith!" The crowd of cats sat nervously listening, all ears turned upward at their leader. His icy gaze beamed against the harshness of his coat. Scarpaw gulped, seeking strength in the sight of her leader.  

      "Until Webear and I have a better understanding on this message, there will be more border patrols. Two in the morning, one in the evening, and two night patrols. Do not worry; I will make sure we are safe for whatever dangers are to come our way." With one last flick of his tail, Snowstar leaped off of the Half-Tree, and the meeting ended. Webear came padding up to him from the edge of the crowd, and the two walked off to her den, speaking in hushed voices so Scarpaw couldn't make out what they were saying.

      Leopardpaw turned to face Scarpaw, her ears flat. "What do you think thats all about? Do you think he just had some kind of nightmare?" Scarpaw rubbed against her friend in affection.

      "Im really not sure. It sounds like theres more than Snowstar wants to let on. All I know is that were safe here. Nothing can harm us so long as we keep a keen eye and a strong spirit."

      "Do you really think that?" Leopardpaw mewed softly. Scarpaw looked into her friends worried eyes, hesitating for a moment.

      "Dont worry about it too much; maybe this is something Snowstar must work out for himself. Maybe, it has nothing to do with us. Besides, we have becoming warriors to worry about."

      Leopardpaw nodded, and brushed dirt off her spotted pelt. "Come on, let's go and see if the other apprentices have returned yet. And speaking of, I want to hear all about your solo mission." Scarpaw twitched her ears in agreement, and headed back to their den. However, even though she tried to stay calm for her worried friend, the message Snowstar had told them still hung heavy in her mind. What could it possibly mean? Could it have anything to do with the fact that Scarpaw wasn't born in RainClan?