Chapter 9

By the time the sun had risen to the center of the sky, the gossip surrounding Sparkpaw's naming ceremony had spread throughout the clan. The morning patrol had returned, padding wistfully through the camp entrance, Sparkpaw among them. Not long after the cats had shared their reports with Snowstar, the white leader yowled the familiar words, announcing a meeting. Scarpaw padded quickly to the Half-tree, Leopardpaw close behind, as the clan watched in anticipation.

Toadface was known throughout the clan for his vicious temper, and wretched looks; even though Scarpaw knew it wasn't the old tom's fault, she couldn't help but feel her pelt prickle any time he casted a grumpy glance her way. He certainly made sure the apprentices feared him, and he wasn't very popular with the other warriors, either. Scarpaw sent a silent prayer to StarClan that the rumors weren't true as Snowstar twitched his tail, beginning the meeting.

        "It is time Sparkpaw received a new mentor," he mewed. "Sparkpaw, please step forward." Scarpaw saw him padding to the foot of the Half-tree, sitting calmly with his tail wrapped neatly over his paws. Snowstar gazed upward for a few moments before raising his head. 

        "Toadface will be his new mentor." Sparkpaw's eyes flashed for a moment, but his expression was hard to read. Scarpaw saw Leopardpaw's whiskers twitching in amusement next to her, but Scarpaw couldn't help feel a pang of pity for the yellow apprentice. He cared deeply for Pepperpelt, and the harsh atmosphere surrounding the older warrior would surely be a difficult adjustment.

      "Toadface, it has been many moons since your last apprentice, and you have plenty of experience to pass on to this young cat. Will you swear to teach him all he needs to learn, and mold him into the great warrior in which he shows potential to become?" Toadface padded to the front, standing near Sparkpaw and bowed his large head towards the great leader. 

       "Yes, Snowstar. It is an honor." Snowstar nodded, and the clan cheered. Toadface bent to touch noses with his new apprentice, but it was awkward and sloppy. Scarpaw noticed Sparkpaw's tail twitch with discomfort as he pressed close to Toadface's mangled muzzle. 

      "Just as I predicted," Scarpaw could hear the elders chatting near the back of the crowd, Coldclaw speaking loudly with his usual hint of arrogance. "Snowstar chose the right cat. Maybe Toadface will teach him some respect- the apprentices these days just don't have what we once did." Fawneyes hushed him with a quiet hiss, but the other elders sat silently, seeming thoughtful. They shifted their attention back to the Half-tree quickly however, when Snowstar yowled to get his clan's attention. Scarpaw followed their gaze, realizing with a jolt that tonight was the gathering. Ears pricked toward the leader, Scarpaw sat close to Leopardpaw, both she-cats buzzing with excitement.

      "Tonight is yet another gathering, and it has come time to announce the patrol that will be joining me at Sky-Rocks tonight." Even Coldclaw held his tongue, anticipation running through the crowd like an electric current. 

      "Suntail, Webear, Stormspirit, Nightbreeze, Toadface, Venomsight, Scarpaw, and Woodpaw." Scarpaw's pelt prickled at the mention of her name, excitement bursting from her mouth in the form of a quiet squeal. Leopardpaw nudged her with her paw, a glint of mischief in her eyes.
"You lucky fur-ball!" she said playfully. Scarpaw laughed, nudging her friend back. "My first gathering! Oh, Leopardpaw, can you believe it?" The spotted she-cat sighed, but her eyes still smiled. 

       "I sure can. You deserve it, Scarpaw. I only wish I could share the experience with you." Scarpaw pressed her muzzle to her friends cheek affectionately. 

       "I know. Just think about it, you might be able to go next time as a warrior." Scarpaw's words made her friends ears prick up, brightening her spirits.

      "I sure hope you're right. Now come on, let's take our fresh-kill to the elders den so we can eat. Old Coldclaw will rake my hide if I don't hurry." Scarpaw twitched her whiskers in amusement, and followed her spotted friend as Snowstar dismissed the clan and the crowd started returning to their previous duties.

      After feeding the elders, the two she-cats sat together by the apprentice den, sharing a woodpecker. Sparkpaw came bounding up, Woodpaw behind him. Maskpaw was nowhere to be found.

      "Hello, both of you." Sparkpaw mewed, seeming tired. Woodpaw smiled at Scarpaw, but said nothing. 

      "Hey, Sparkpaw. I'm sorry about the ceremony," Scarpaw said, flicking her tail. He smiled. 

       "Don't be. Toadface may be unpopular, but he's a great warrior. I respect him." She blinked, feeling a sense of guilt. She had assumed things of the warrior based off of rumors and looks. Leopardpaw noticed her embarrassment and purred, flicking her ear. 

      "Well, I say good luck. You'll need it. I heard he overworked his last apprentice pretty harshly." Sparkpaw looked to her, nodding, then gazed towards Sagefur at the end of the clearing. He was Toadface's last apprentice, and while he was a great, well-rounded warrior, Scarpaw always noticed a sense of anxiety surrounding the dusty tom.

       "Well, I'll just have to work that much harder, then." Admiring his spirit, Scarpaw smiled. Woodpaw stepped slightly forward, his eyes glittering.

"I can't wait to join you at the gathering, Scarpaw. It'll be your first, right? Me too." She blinked at him, surprised. 

       "Yes, It'll be interesting. Especially with the recent prophecy, I wonder if Snowstar will address it to the other clans." Sparkpaw looked back to her, softness clouding his eyes. A secret understanding passed between the two cats for a short moment- an understanding that Scarpaw was nervous of encountering the clan she had abandoned as a kit, MapleClan.

      "Don't worry about it too much," Sparkpaw mewed. "Sky-Rocks is far from here. You two should make sure you're well fed and rested before you have to travel." 

      Woodpaw nodded, padding away to the fresh-kill pile, and Scarpaw rested her head on her paws, shutting her eyes against the sunlight. Pushing the worries of MapleClan and her sister away, Scarpaw let herself drift off into a nap.