II - Lonesome, Comely Spirit

With Gabriel having gone to give word about starting dinner, Reynold was left alone with Lord Victor for a moment. He still couldn't quite believe this person turned out the way he was. In truth, he'd been expecting to have a meeting with an uncouth and arrogant lord, not some bubbly, pretty-faced man eager to please and find a friend.

Standing with his hands clasped behind his back, Reynold licked his lips before clearing his throat a bit awkwardly. He didn't quite know what to say even though he'd agreed to stay for a while longer. If he hadn't, he'd be on his way back home to the shop to begin preparations for the other chairs Lord Victor wanted, but he guessed a rush to present the finished products wasn't necessary.

"Mr. Deighton," Lord Victor said, looking up at the other man.

"Please, Reynold is fine."

"Reynold."

"Yes?"

"Might I ask how long you have been building such remarkable furniture? With how exquisite everything truly is, you must have been doing this for some time. I wish I had a talent for something, but...I don't." He laughed to himself. "I would love to hear more about you if you do not mind it."

"I do not mind," Reynold said, now crossing his arms over his chest. "When I was younger, my elder brother and father guided me and taught me all I know, but I hadn't thought this would be my permanent occupation growing up. I went to school up in Winterbourne for some years until my brother passed away. So, I haven't much of a choice."

The news caught Lord Victor off guard, and he gasped softly. "I apologize for bringing up such a topic. Was it your brother who worked here rather than you?"

"Yes, I hadn't as much of a passion when it came to building, and I was content with all my studies, but I knew I couldn't abandon my family since Everard was the one who provided most of the income for our parents." Reynold sighed. "Banemount was never a place I figured I would return to and settle down."

Victor hummed with a nod, seeming a bit nervous. "Is this place...not very nice?"

Reynold could see his previous wording had sparked some worry in Lord Victor's being. "I do not say that to strip Banemount of its charm. The city itself is quite nice and the people are relatively well-received in my eyes. If anything, most prefer to stick to their own business. I only speak with distaste for my own wish to not be here."

"You must have loved your school very much." Lord Victor said. He then leaned comfortably back in his chair and smiled brilliantly, but when a subtle shadow seemed to cast over his cheerfulness, he continued with: "As for me, I did not enjoy my time in university. When I was sent away to attend, I thought the experience and, of course, the education would be good for me, but it only made me realize how much I did not like to be separated from my family, and...how cruel young men can be toward those they view as...lesser."

"Lesser?"

"Am I the smartest man in the world?" Lord Victor dithered. "It is humiliating to admit aloud, but, no, I am not the most intelligent man in the world, and those of greater intellect than I were not afraid to let me know they thought such a thing. Also, it did not help that the scandal in which my father was once involved trailed behind me everywhere I went. Many did not know who I was, but the few who did were rather cruel. After some time, I could no longer take the whispers, and...let us say I gave most a reason to believe a school setting was not meant for me. Besides, I do not think I am capable enough to be surrounded by boastful, intellectual men. Talk about a bore..." He lowered his voice, "No offense, of course."

Reynold couldn't help a humored smirk as his thoughts settled on what Lord Victor could have meant by his 'reason'. Instead of keeping to the topic, however, he merely said, "You are not wrong about the boring part. I do not ever remember a conversation I had that did not pertain to our studies. Truly, I was a bore in school, as well."