XXIII - In Confidence

Night was coming around and as the late supper was beginning to be cleared off the table, Victor stood from his chair as Todd summoned him from the room. The young lord had gotten a stain on his shirt, but it was obviously a ruse to put a bit of distance between Victor and the dining hall, as it appeared Norman had a few words he wished to share with the craftsman.

Though it had been settled already that Master Ramsey hadn't any distrust or veiled hatred for Reynold, he still couldn't get past how intimidating Norman was as a man. His stare could be cold and disheartening if he wanted it to be, his build and everything really that made him who he was... was more than off-putting, but Reynold did his best to veil his own inner disruptions when the rich man stood and closed the two thick doors to the hall, leaving himself, Reynold and Gabriel the only ones inside.

Swallowing a lump in his throat, Reynold looked at either man, and said, "I must admit, I am a bit nervous to be standing here on my own before you. Am I in need of a serious word, my lord? I hope I have not shown to overstep on this journey."

"Relax, Mr. Deighton," Norman finally spoke up, "I only wish to have a quick word before you and Victor leave for the night, as I must return to Childermass come morning. I have a proposition, of sorts, that I would like you to consider. I will say, I've already spoken on this matter with your father during our last conversation, and now I wish to come to you with what I have in mind for my son going forward. Now, this will only work as I am hoping if you can see yourself in this for the long run as well, and by long run – I mean if you can see yourself remaining at my son's side as this relationship between the two of you remains. Given that, I must ask, Mr. Deighton; how do you honestly feel about my son?"

So abrupt, that is how the question put forth to him made Reynold feel. And, while he was confident in speaking aloud all of what he felt for Victor Ramsey, why was his throat suddenly clogged when prompted to speak on it now?

"You wish me to speak of love, my lord?"

"I wish for you to speak the truth."

Sure the silence of the dining hall wasn't a good look for him given the question in the air, Reynold tried to settle himself and took the paper Victor had previously given him from his pocket. He'd folded it, only noticing now that the letter given to him by Christopher was still in his pocket. He unfolded the one from his past lover. He hadn't read the entire thing, hadn't given Christopher the opportunity to finish. There was a lit candle on the dining table and Reynold neared it. He held the letter above the flame and watched it catch, Norman and Gabriel seeming confused by his actions but let it be.

When the flames nearly reached his finger tips, he dropped it onto a clean plate as it crumpled into nothing but black ash before dying down. With Victor's note in hand now, Reynold neared Norman and handed it over. Once it was unfolded in the other man's hand and he began to read, Reynold said, "Victor addressed that to me not long ago. I must confess, my heart is quite touched by what he could write regarding his feelings towards me. Not once since that first day I met him has he ever regarded me any different, and in a manner of speaking - I must also admit it has frightened me. You, Master Ramsey, seem accepting enough, yet still Victor is a lord of noble blood. How could you ever wish it that - although happy - he would be happy with a man?"

Norman didn't answer the question and instead imposed his own. "Are you happy, Mr. Deighton? With my son?"

There was a nod received immediately. "Dare I say he has made me the happiest I have ever been in my entire life? I feared to someday rediscover what - love - could be again, yet there is a beckoning taking place inside me whenever I am near to him. Do I love Victor? I wish to, of course, Master Ramsey, if I honest to God have your blessing."