XIII - The Lovers of Marvelous Men

Reynold hadn't quite been able to get proper sleep just yet. Clouds had begun to roll in over Banemount not long after their quick and lovely night, so as Lord Victor clung to sleep beside him, the dark-haired man still lay awake as the rumbles of the night sky distracted him from catching the tendrils of slumber. Then again, the man was also sure more than just the distant sound of thunder approaching Banemount was keeping him awake. He couldn't get his mind off what he'd experienced with Lord Victor Ramsey just some hours ago.

As he lay beneath the shared coverings beside the idyllic blond man, Reynold recollected on the moment of pure and mutual intimacy they'd partaken in. He could still visualize each and every detail there was about the lord's lovely body. The slender form that built Victor from the ground up was faultless, the dips here and there about his hips and shoulders were enrapturing, the adequate shade of skin beneath the moon had tantalized the working man, and the longer Reynold remembered the pure image of Victor, the more he wanted to interrupt the man's sleep and delve into yet another round. He wanted to make it last longer.

Famished as he was though, Reynold kept to himself as sleep settled only further into the beautiful man at his side. In a manner of speaking, Reynold was also entirely surprised at himself for even being in this situation at the moment. Since his mountainous break with Christopher those years back, he hadn't been able to imagine beginning a second prospect with another person. When he was young, Reynold had been so incredibly in love with his best mate, and had only ever been able to picture himself starting a life – even a clandestine life – with the boy named Christopher Adley. At the time, they'd been so perfect for one another. They had shared similar interests, carried one another's deepest of secrets, fell over the cliff of admiration day after day, only for it to end where it had: in the constricting hands of an envious and mistrusting entity.

If Christopher had not intruded on his harmless time away at university, had trusted his lover with the distance put between them, Reynold just knew he and the past affair would have lasted. Although the resentment he held for Christopher clenched strictly into his being, Reynold wondered from time to time where they could be at any current moment if things had worked as they were supposed to. Then again, it seemed like they weren't supposed to last. Everything around him happened as it did with each second that went by, and this was where he had ended up at the end of it all.

Glancing off toward the man beside him beneath the lush coverings of the massive bed, Reynold turned more onto his side and watched the dreamy flutters of Victor's eyelids. He smiled to himself, wondering momentarily what the lord could be dreaming of. He hoped the scenes flashing before the other man were gorgeous. As Reynold hoped the dreams taking place within Victor's nightmind were rewarding, Victor fidgeted where he lay and turned slightly under the covers. His hand placed itself upon Reynold's chest, and as if just the warmth that met his sleepy touch was registered, Victor unconsciously made himself comfortable against the chest of the man beside him.

More than glad to be graced with the merge of closeness, Reynold lightly wrapped an arm around Victor to secure their bodies and touched his nose into the top of the other man's tickling hair. His natural scent was grand, as if he bathed in pleasant perfumes regularly, washed daily with the petals of each flower that had blossomed from his lavish garden. He was surely rich in name and such fine appeal all over.

Hearing a faint wince come from Victor then, Reynold furrowed his brow and cautiously looked down on the sleeping man. Afraid he'd accidentally caused harm from the faint injuries still taking time to dispel all aches, Reynold watched wordlessly for a moment as Victor's own dream seemed to shake him. There was a coo of agony that was more from memory than anything happening currently, as if Victor was fully experiencing a trauma that only existed in the flickers that passed his mind. He was afraid.