XXII - These Like-Minded and Merry Men

It'd taken two days just as Reynold figured to reach Winterbourne. Immediately, the first thing one would see upon entering the lovely city, was the large looming and regal local university. Built into a lofty cliffside that dropped off toward a village located at the base, Winterbourne University resembled that of a dark themed medieval castle. It certainly stood out from the coziness that the city leading up to it offered, but it held a great gothic beauty to it all around. Just seeing it from afar through the window of the coach brought a comfort to Reynold's being. He'd loved every bit of the time he'd spent there, and would gladly attend classes again if given the proper opportunity to do so.

Seated with only the young lord since Norman traveled separately with Gabriel and Todd, Reynold couldn't help the smile on his face when he looked back at Victor. "I must say," he started, "I am glad you decided to come along. This place was a second home for me, and I believe you will enjoy it for at least the single night we are here. I may be busy for a few hours, but come nightfall, I would love the chance to show you why I love this place as I do."

More glad just to see the excitement in Reynold's eyes, Victor moved closer to the other man and peered out the window as well. His bottom was beginning to hurt given the long seated journey, so he was a bit impatient to finally stand, but the acknowledgement of his aches faded with Reynold's cheerful words.

Victor took in the awe inspiring view of the university. He'd passed through Winterbourne during his travels to reach Banemount in the first place, but had been so glum at the time, he hadn't taken in many of his surroundings as they went through back then. He had to admit, it certainly was very nice indeed.

For several more minutes, the coach rolled through the busy streets, the crunch of the wheels being what filled their ears most until they finally came to a stop. When the door to the transport was opened a moment later, Reynold stepped out first and lent a hand to Victor to help him down the high step. When he turned around, he was faced with what he'd known as Lily Grove.

It was a home located just half a kilometer from the university, and was named such due to the large presence of the Lily of the Valley flowers that grew on its pastures. The stately home itself was an extravagant build, made from solid light beige stone with a dark brown roofing, it stood two stories high and had to have at least one hundred lofty windows. There were two rectangular gardens on either side of the paved passage that led to the head of the drive, rounded shrubs trimmed precisely as lilies took up the majority of the floral arrangements that grew. There was a water fountain that displayed two large winged angels centering the drive, and a flag pole reached high into the sky displaying a family crest against a red and yellow fabric background.

Depicted in the middle of a shield was the head of a wolf. It was framed with what appeared to be two large war hammers on either side of the shield, and it was topped with the helmet of a knight, and surrounded by flowing intricate detail that looked like thorny vines with blossoming roses all around. Knowing well that wolves were a symbol of loyalty, family connection and great intelligence, he thought the inclusion of the beastly animal was a perfect analogy befitting a man like Norman Ramsey, especially with the inclusion of a knight's helmet that spoke boldly of honor, strength, and integrity. The roses, Reynold thought, were more than likely an addition to represent Norman Ramsey's children and that love that lived inside him for those who shared his blood. The crest fit him very well as a man he certainly wasn't afraid to show himself to be.

"My, my, father," Victor said, his arm wrapped with Reynold's and they slowly neared the steps to the main doors. "I didn't know you owned such a place here."

"This is just one of the many places that will become yours when I am gone," Norman said, following alongside his son and Reynold as they all climbed the steps. "But, you needn't worry for such things right now; finances and what not. I've unfortunately kept you a bit ill-informed your whole life, but there are a few things I'm lining up as time goes on to make certain you are ready for when the time comes."