XXVII - The Flooding of a Bird Cage

The gates seemed to have fully opened for the name of Victor Ramsey. Since the moment of Norman's bestowal of a portion of his duties, letter after letter found its way to the Upton Estate. There were a great many names that crossed his desk, a great many more that still remained unread. It reached the point where Victor wasn't quite sure how to go about addressing all of them, or if he was obligated to address every single one of them. He was at least thankful for Gabriel's knowledge of Norman's usual affairs, past and present, making the footman capable enough to weed out which other names of the nobility to trust, cater to, or simply ignore.

Today, as it'd been a week since his duties began, the name of Stanley Thorne reached his doorstep with a beseech Victor had to take under consideration. Apparently, alongside the Upton Estate itself, there was also a plot of land at the opposite side of Banemount that sat vacant and was controlled by his name, and this Stanley Thorne was heading to the city to make a request to essentially lease the land for his wine business that would be opening a shop on the waterway soon.

Walking from the office on the second floor and down stairs to the first, Victor held his hands gingerly behind his back, chewing his lip in thought as he wondered what his father would do in this moment.

"I've fortunately encountered the Thorne family before," Reynold said, moving along side the beautiful lord. "When I was younger, my family attended a party and they seemed like an alright bunch. They are one of the most well-known families from Islesbury a bit southeast of here, and have made a great name for themselves, especially through their wine business. It's quite the popular choice amongst the nobility."

"Yes, I remember them now," Victor nodded. "You wrote a passage of them in your old diary. You think I should take them into more consideration?"

"I wouldn't see the issue in it. You will receive a piece of the profits that are harvested from the land, and I'm sure Mr. Stanley will be more than pleased to simply be associated with you. And," Reynold continued, "If it makes you feel any better, I am more than positive you will not have to worry about any possible tension. Stanley Thorne isn't confrontational in the least when it comes to other names, especially one like yours, I'm sure."

That did make Victor feel a bit better about the day. The Thorne family was currently on their way and would be arriving just in time for afternoon tea. Instead of tea; however, Victor would be sampling the wine and signing whatever papers he needed to after taking the deal under consideration. Before any of that type of business reached his doorstep though, Victor was more than happy to welcome the familiar face of Daloris Lancechester as the fair and gorgeous Lady was led into the manor by Todd. The footman gladly received her umbrella before taking it away to dry. It was drizzling today and would prove to be a bit humid throughout the hours.

Welcoming Daloris, she was dressed in a light green gown with long sleeves and lace cuffs, a white and dainty fichu tied loosely around her exposed shoulders, and her hair was twisted up into a secured bun. Silver pins with flowers were tucked about her tresses, and her cheeks were dusted with a blush of pink, lips painted a faint red as well, but even with her precisely pieced together beauty, it was no secret that a forlorn shadow was cast over the wonderful Lady on this day. Without her parents or her young son at her side today, it seemed she required a couple of hours to herself.

"Good morning, my lady," Victor welcomed her, "Forgive me, but where has your smile gone? I will say I have grown familiar with your glee and you appear so disheartened today."

Turning alongside Victor when the young lord started them all to the library, Daloris allowed her arm to loop with the man beside her. As they walked, she said, "With honesty, my lord, I must confess I have come here this morning in search of... answers... comfort, I'm not too sure which just yet."