XVIII - Warnings of a Troublesome Soul

Arms linked together, Victor and Norman Ramsey strolled the pastures of the estate. It truly was a lovely home to have been built especially for the young lord. There'd been a very detailed arrangement of what the foundations were supposed to look like; everything from the manner in which the windows soared, the mild glitter of the brick that provided a majestic twinkle beneath the sun, and every flower and stone placement was all accurate to the vision Norman and the architect he'd sat down with drew up for the future home so many years ago.

Hanging back as father and son reconnected, Reynold walked beside Gabriel a couple meters away. They couldn't quite hear what the two esteemed men were talking about, but Reynold caught himself smiling at the ways Victor had the power to make his father let out a boisterous laugh. Norman was a cold-looking man on the outside, but he could obviously show a far more cheerful side of his personality when Victor was beside him.

When they reached the far end of the spouting water garden, Victor and Norman sat down on a white marble bench. There were figures of what were supposed to represent naked water nymphs here and there, all of which were sculpted from sleek marble as well.

Gabriel touched a hand to Reynold's elbow then, nodding for the man to follow him off a short distance. They stopped before a wall of towering trimmed trees that fenced the border of the water garden, and a bit of nervousness entered Reynold at the unambiguous appearance of worry about Gabriel's expression. "I hope you do not find my questions to be crude, but Master Ramsey has asked that I separately ask you a few things."

Reynold felt like the only thing he could do was say yes. With Norman's unapologetic threat of killing him at the back of his mind, there seemed to be no room for denial of this anyhow. He nodded.

"The state Lord Victor was in last night," Gabriel started, "I can't imagine that was only his yearning to see you coming through. Now, Mr. Deighton, to hopefully quell any disquiet you may be having in regards to how Master Ramsey views your recent and continued acquaintance with his son, my master does not look down so cruelly onto men with the preferences that align with yours. It has been more than evident to you that Lord Victor shares your tastes, and Master Ramsey has known of this since Victor was a boy. Now, while his opinions of you are still in development, I will say this: he has not spoken of ending your familiarity with Victor given what knowledge Todd and I passed down to him upon his arrival. I wish to ask you, Mr. Deighton, what is the truth of why Lord Victor was so troubled? Do not lie."

Reynold's heart had quickened as Gabriel spoke but calmed at the idea that Norman Ramsey did not disapprove, at least right now, of how close he and Victor were becoming. The last thing he wanted to do was get on the bad side of a man who could not only separate him from Victor if he wanted, but more than likely end his entire career and livelihood, so Reynold was quick to agree in complete understanding. If anything, he was glad to be able to convey the happenings of what transpired in the clothing shop. Reynold already felt like he hadn't done enough, and thought that disgusting man deserved to meet whatever wrath was on its way to him.

"Yesterday," Reynold said, "Victor and I went into a clothing shop near my home. I let my mind and eyes stray for just a moment, and the owner had taken the lord into the back fitting area. There..." Reynold shook his head in disappointment and frustration, as he could still see how unsettled Victor had been. "The owner was touching Victor in a manner that brought discomfort. Sexually, like a man drunken for sex with the lord."

Gabriel gasped at the prospect of an unwanted person pushing their way onto Victor. It was unsightly even if only imagined. "And you witnessed this?"

"Yes," Reynold nodded. "I shoved the man away and we left at once."

"And this is all that happened?"

Remembering the rest of the night he'd had, especially with his unfortunate run-in with Christopher, Reynold nodded once more.