XLIII - A Word of Welcome, of Warning

Father,

I am almost certain a pinch of worry has entered you upon receiving another letter from me, though I do wish to assure no complaints will be strewn across this page. I write this time only to remind and request your attendance at my gala. You have never once missed my day, and I don't anticipate you will this year. Moreover, I am positive the old men who've joined me for business will likely enjoy a moment of your time. They've given me mannered respect throughout meetings, and yet a portion of me feels they miss associating with you directly.

Anyhow, I love and miss you dearly, father, and look forward to your smile and embrace.

Travel safely when you come.

                                             Your son,

                                                    Victor

Victor handed the sealed letter over to Harris, along with the one written for the Lancechester family to send out after his departure. While he would be sad to part ways with his brother, the lord was glad to have been able to spend what time they'd had together. Besides, he would more than likely see Leon on his birthday regardless of the university's schedule.

Standing at the open entryway of the beautiful manor, Victor took a step back and opened his arms, gleefully welcoming the embrace of his younger brother and they squeezed one another as tightly as the other permitted.

"It was a pleasure," Victor admitted, placing a kiss against his brother's cheek.

Leon placed a soft kiss at Victor's cheek in return before releasing, and as Reynold looked on from the sidelines, he thought it almost looked like either Ramsey boys would suddenly dive back into the other's embrace. Victor, on the other hand, seemed to hold himself together a bit more and took a step away, bringing his arm with the craftsman's before turning and heading for the entry doors. The time had surely been short, but it was time to return to Banemount, and the young lord was more than ready for the journey. The coach ride would be tedious and last far too long, but he knew he'd be happy to finally lay eyes on his home again.

After all, he would be headed there with Reynold, and it wouldn't be long until they'd make their exchanges.

With that assuring thought in mind, Victor gestured kindly once more to his brother before piling into the rear of the coach with his lover by his side, Gabriel and Todd sitting atop once they all started off.

As the minutes passed by, several turning into an hour, an hour turning into two, Victor remained seated on the bench beside the other man, Reynold having taken to sleep after a while despite the minor shakiness of the transport. While he could have followed the dark-haired man into what slumber they could get out on the road, there was a distraction of sorts that kept him from dozing off. There was a flush of anticipation in him, delight and although he was trying his hardest to be patient, when he reached into the pocket of his coat and withdrew the two precious rings he'd purchased the other day, the more he wanted to hurry time along so that cold, loving bands would find their final placements in the world.

Turning the gemmed wonders over in his palm, Victor considered every possibility, every dream and once foolish desire that'd occupied his thoughts when he was a bit younger. So much had seemed utterly impossible only some months ago, and now there was no doubt, no lie staring back at him. To have once been a child whose prospects and were said to be foolish, whose future was the most uncertain thing waiting for him, it was strange to know the path to a perfect life was something that'd been alongside him all this time. All he'd ever had to do was realize the trail was there all along.