IV - The Tellings of a Lonely Lord

There was no rifle to greet Reynold upon his arrival to the Upton Estate, but the servant Todd did exit the manor to welcome him. There was a very rich, black painted coach stalled at the bottom of the steps, one that presumably belonged to Lord Victor's father. When Reynold climbed into the back of the wagon, he was met at the rear of it by Todd. "I am quite early, I understand," he acknowledged, "but I had to put in far less work than I imagined I would. I do apologize if my being here causes any inconvenience."

After pulling off the drape that was set over the three chairs, Reynold handed two of them down to Todd, and the servant said, "I assure you Victor will not be bothered by your early attendance." He then started to carry them off to the entry door as Reynold brought the last chair with him. "He has not stopped speaking of you since yesterday."

To hear such brought a warmth to Reynold's chest, but he kept the pleased feeling to himself. He then entered the manor behind Todd and was led further inside. Everything was still as bare as it'd been before, not a lick of furnishings anywhere, and while it was quiet throughout the home as well, the vibrant sound of Lord Victor's voice came into earshot when he and Todd neared the dining hall.

The moment they stepped into view of the archway, Reynold met the brilliant blue eyes of the pretty blond Lord, and the reaction to his arrival had not been something he was prepared for.

"Reynold!" Lord Victor exclaimed in pure excitement. His voice had been so loud and thrilled that he'd startled the man seated across from him: his father.

Today, Lord Victor was dressed in matching black trousers and a buttoned shirt with a white bow fixed around his collar, and he was also wearing a pale blue overcoat. His bright, blond locks were down past his shoulders, wielding a mild volume from the partial waviness.

As for the man seated across from Lord Victor in the leaf-green, wood-framed chair Reynold had brought the day before, he was nothing like what had been previously imagined.

This man was quite...frightening to merely look upon. Not that his countenance was unappealing, but Lord Victor's father displayed a serious shadow in his equally blue colored eyes. His face was chiseled and young for his age of forty-seven, his jaw cut sharp enough to carve stone. His build was robust in his brown and burgundy attire, his blond hair cut short and tamed, brow broad and there was a darkness of judgment over his eyes. While he looked like the kind of man who would be quick to enter a brawl on his own, his flesh and blood seemed like a polar opposite.

"Oh, you are heaven-sent to have come back so much earlier than expected," Lord Victor said, "And you've brought the rest of the chairs! Come, come, have a seat. Allow me to introduce you to my father."

Reynold went ahead and set the chair he was holding on one of the empty sides of the table. "Forgive me for arriving unannounced." He lowered his head to both esteemed men.

"Oh, no, please, you are perfectly fine to have come now," Lord Victor then gestured to the man across from him. "This is my wonderful father, Norman Ramsey. Do not let his stare frighten you. I swear to you he is very kind. Father," Lord Victor said with a bit of a whine, "Do not glare at my guest as such, especially one kind enough to have spent the day with me yesterday. Even with my dearest Gabriel and Todd and everyone else, the manor was dreadfully lonely, but when Mr. Deighton here came on behalf of my calling, I was thrilled to have him stay for the few hours that he did." Not letting anyone interrupt him, Lord Victor carried on with: "You may find this foolish of me given your strict standing toward first impressions, father, but I told Mr. Deighton of my amusing fondness for drinking, but do not worry yourself, we still do not have any supply of ale or whiskey or anything at all that I would prefer far more than...tea and wine. Then again, if I did – I more than likely would not tell you. Wouldn't want to risk you taking it away like you have before."