XVI - A Dream of Me, a Nightmare of You

There was a hint of sadness that crept into Reynold after parting ways with Victor, but he at least hoped their time spent together was enough to quell both their hearts until tomorrow. Given he was caught up with all commissions, and the shop had been closed for the day anyways, there would be no immediate jobs waiting for him once he returned home, so he was almost certain his day with Victor tomorrow would go undisturbed as well. He did hope, at least, they would be able to spend the day inside rather than out and about.

Walking the city and being surrounded by others hadn't been too bad, but Reynold had experienced a strange sensation today. Though most did not know Victor Ramsey by his appearance, having others glimpse his fineness throughout the day had agitated him a bit. More so when that wretched shopkeeper had taken it upon himself to attempt feeding his animalistic appetite. If someone could stoop so low as to harass Victor in such a manner, who's to say even just those thoughts hadn't crossed the minds of other men through the day? Reynold loathed the prospect. While he and the majestic lord had not made any direct claims on one another, claims such as love, Reynold knew he would seethe if another was to touch the other man, kiss him, see him the ways he already had.

Tempted to turn and confess much more to the beautiful lord than what he had before, Reynold tried to show at least some restraint. Instead, he hoped Victor would at least read his note tonight. In there, the other man would surely find the fullness of his heart even if it only sat upon a mere piece of paper.

Arriving at Waterway Tonics, Reynold entered the establishment. It was a smaller parlor across the dividing river of Banemount. To cross over there was a manual drawbridge that would be raised upon hearing the horn of a boat or ship making its way to the docks, but since no one traveled the water after sunset, it was down and folks from the inner city traveled out to the businesses that ran more freely under the cover of night.

When the thick wooden door screeched upon the floor as it closed behind him, Reynold kept his eyes open for the familiar faces he'd happened across not long ago: the cousins Kenneth and Kurtis from Winterbourne. There were a good amount of tables already filled with drinkers and already drunken fools, some carrying on elevated conversations, some having a game of dominos, while others simply seemed to be challenging who could hold their liquor the longest. The sun had only been gone for a few minutes, and already everyone's sunlit personalities were being traded off for their evening facades. Reynold snickered to himself after witnessing one man chug an entire mug of something that must've burned his throat before nearly toppling over.

Of course he was used to being surrounded by drinking men, but there was always something different about being around happy drunken men who shared the same preferences as him, and then being around others who would more than likely drag him out into the middle of the docks for a beating if ever they discovered he wasn't like them. Although his true self was well-known to his direct family, and the good mates he'd made while away, he knew exactly what his fate would be if the misfortune of ever being witnessed by men like these was to arise. So long as he kept that side of himself under strict lock and key, Reynold was sure he'd always be fine. It wasn't like he and Victor had shagged in the middle of the boulevard or anything, so he felt confident in himself that he would always be in the clear as long as he could control himself.

There was an L-shaped bar counter at the far end of the parlor. At the furthest end, Reynold spotted Kenneth and Kurtis speaking with the bartender/owner of Waterway Tonics. When the two were each fixed a clear glass of toxic liquid, Reynold made himself comfortable on a stool beside them. "Well, aren't you two rude?" he said. "Having me drag myself on over here and you haven't bought me a drink? Lousy pair, the lot of you."

Nearly tossing the drink back, Kenneth's red cheeks brightened even more at the sound of his friend, and he slammed the beverage down before his old classmate. "There you are!" he shouted, "Take it, take it, have mine. Come on, now, tell us how you've been! Sure, we know it was truly unfortunate what brought you back to these parts, but it can't be all too bad now, eh? Hurt don't leave too fast, but you've been busy, yeah?"