Chapter 6: Harvest Festival one

The air was a bit chillier and Camila was happy to be carrying two warm cups as she walked into the quad. She was running a little later than usual so she hurried toward the table. She had woken up feeling sore and hadn't been able to stretch like usual. She knew the cold air was affecting her joints but she was determined to power through. Lauren was at their usual table wearing a sleek black coat. She gave Camila a big smile as she approached.

"Here you go," Camila said, handing her a hot latte.

"Perfect," Lauren said, "It's a little colder than I thought it would be today."

"I know, I didn't dress warm enough," Camila said with a shiver.

"We could find a place inside," Lauren offered.

"Nah, I'm fine," Camila answered, settling down and taking a sip of her hot chocolate.

"Is it usually this cold at the beginning of October?" Lauren asked.

"Yep, this is when everything changes," Camila answered.

"I'm going to need heavier clothes for Lori this winter," Lauren said.

"Hey, are you guys going to the Harvest Festival this weekend?" Camila asked hopefully.

"Yes, Normani told us all about it," Lauren said, "I hear the entire town shows up."

"Just about," Camila said chuckling, "It's a big deal in Alta Vista. There are rides and games and all kinds of food booths. It's really fun. The best part is the firework show as soon as it gets dark."

"I'm looking forward to it," Lauren said, "And I think Lori will love it."

"Maybe I'll see you there?" Camila asked, smiling warmly.

"I'd really like that," Lauren answered.

There was a long moment of silence before they both started talking at once.

"I'm sorry, you go," Camila said.

"I was thinking – I don't even have your phone number," Lauren said, her voice a bit shy.

"Oh, here, give me your phone," Camila said. Lauren used her passcode to open her phone and Camila entered her contact information. She pushed the call button and her phone rang. She saved Lauren's contact in her phone.

"So maybe I could text you when we get there and we could meet up?" Lauren asked.

"I'd love that," Camila said happily, "I'm way more excited now. I mean, the festival is great, but I've done it so many times – it'll be more fun with you and Lori."

Lauren smiled widely. Her phone alarm sounded and she turned it off quickly. They both began to stand. Camila immediately flinched and held tightly to the table. Her knee and hip caught and the pain shot through her leg.

"Camila!" Lauren said, her voice worried as she rounded the table and instinctively grabbed onto her to hold her up.

Camila slid from her grasp as if her touch burned and sat back down, moving away from Lauren on the bench. Lauren stood still unsure what to do. Camila was breathing deeply, her eyes closed.

"Camila," Lauren said softly, keeping her distance, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Camila said between gritted teeth, "Just give me a minute."

Lauren waited quietly as Camila calmed. Camila stretched out her leg and stood slowly.

"Can I help you?" Lauren asked, her voice full of concern.

"I'm fine," Camila said, her voice stern. She took another breath to focus and her voice returned to a tone closer to usual, "It's an old injury, my knee locks up sometimes. I think it's the change in the weather. I'm okay, really."