Chapter 40 - Christmas, Part 2

After all the gifts were open and some playtime with the puppy Lori let out a big yawn. Camila knew that there was too much activity for Lori to fall asleep out in the den, so she picked her up in her arms.

"How about you and me go rest for a few minutes together in the bedroom," Camila said tenderly.

"I don't wanna nap," Lori answered, pouting.

"You don't have to," Camila said, keeping her voice low and calm, "You can stay awake if you want. We'll just lay down and rest for a few minutes so that we're ready to play some more and eat our big Christmas feast."

Lori yawned again and put her head on Camila's shoulder.

"Okay, but no nap," Lori conceded.

Camila looked at Lauren with a grin. She picked up her new tartan blanket and carried Lori to one of the spare bedrooms. She climbed into bed with her and Lori snuggled up against her. Camila placed the blanket over them and scratched Lori's back. Within a few minutes Lori's breathing evened out and she snored softly. Camila was tired from getting up early and the busy day and she closed her eyes for a quick break.

Lauren was in the kitchen preparing the pie crust, while Eliza cooked down the fresh cherries at the stove. Normani and Dinah were out on the porch with Ruby and Morgan.  Ruby was trying to teach the small puppy to sit much to everyone's amusement. The little dog didn't seem to want to do much besides laying in Ruby's lap. Eliza and Lauren watched them through the large French doors.

"I can't believe Normani gave in and got a puppy," Lauren said, chuckling.

"Well, Ruby's old enough to help," Eliza said.

"True, and she's a great kid," Lauren said, "She'll do her part."

"I have no doubt Dinah was all for it," Eliza said, "She loves dogs."

"Should I know anything about Camila?" Lauren asked, grinning, "I'm not a real fan of animals but I know Lori's gonna ask eventually."

"You're in big trouble," Eliza said, chuckling, "Camila's worse than Dinah. The only reason she didn't have a dog before was because her work schedule was ridiculous. After the accident I think it was too much for her to handle, and she was always living with someone else."

"I'm surprised she hasn't come back from putting Lori down," Lauren said, looking up as Dinah walked in to grab a beer.

"Ten bucks says she's sleeping like a baby," Dinah said, smiling, "I'll go check."

Dinah walked down the hall and peeked into the bedroom. Camila was dead asleep, one arm curled around Lori. Dinah took out her camera and took a picture. She looked at her phone and smiled. They were adorable. She walked back into the kitchen and handed the phone to Lauren, who grinned widely. Eliza looked over and giggled.

"Send it to me, please," Lauren said.

Dinah forwarded the picture and grabbed a beer.

"You guys want anything?" Dinah asked.

"I'd love it if you made me a mimosa," Eliza said, "We'll be done here in just a minute."

"Lauren?" Dinah asked.

"I'll take a mimosa too," Lauren answered, picking up the dough and carefully placing it in the pie plate.

Lauren washed her hands as Eliza poured the filling into the pie and put the top crust in place. Dinah made the drinks and grabbed a beer for Normani, and they made their way outside. Dinah sat on the ground and Ruby put Morgan down. Dinah patted the porch in front of her and Morgan slowly made her way, sniffing the floor, until she reached Dinah.