Chapter 45 - Recovery time in Salt Lake City

Lauren and Dinah pulled up to the rental house. They had the opportunity to see Camila in the ICU, but she was completely out and hooked up to machines. It was very unsettling for both of them. They had told Camila how much they loved her then left the hospital enveloped in sadness. The ride had been quiet. Dinah turned off the ignition but they both stayed planted in place in their car seats. Finally, Dinah turned and looked at Lauren.

"Are you really in for this?" Dinah said.

"Is that what you're worried about?" Lauren asked defensively.

"I'm worried about so much I can't really narrow it down," Dinah said glumly. Lauren softened.

"Dinah, look at me," Lauren said seriously, waiting for Dinah before continuing, "I am completely committed to Camila. I swear it."

"Okay, good," Dinah said, "Because she's going to need you. And, Lauren, I'm kind of going to need you too."

Dinah's voice sounded small and, for the first time, Lauren saw how vulnerable she could be. Dinah was always so strong on the outside, even when she had gone through the shooting at work and was clearly upset, she was stoic. This day marked a change in their relationship, sharing their fears with one another.

"I feel the same way, Dinah," Lauren said, "You've been through this with Camila before. I could really use your guidance."

"Let's make a pact to talk to one another," Dinah said, "I know you're her person now, but I'm used to being the one she relies on. I need to know she's okay."

"I promise, you'll always be in the loop, Dinah," Lauren said softly, "You know, she told me that she plans to have time set aside in her life for just the two of you. She said you guys lost touch for a bit and she never wants that to happen again. You're very lucky to have one another."

Dinah took a deep breath and looked up at the house, "I guess we should go in and see everyone."

Lauren brightened a bit as she noticed Normani's car pulled all the way up in the driveway. They got out of the car and walked up to the front door and knocked. Eliza opened the door and Lauren only took one step in before hearing a loud squeal.

"Mommy!" Lori yelled, jumping up from her spot on the sofa and running toward Lauren.

Lauren leaned down and pulled Lori into her arms, hugging her tightly and feeling herself smile widely. She held Lori close as she walked into the large, open den. Normani stood, giving Lauren a soft grin as Dinah took a moment near the door talking to Eliza. Dinah finally walked into the den and was surprised when Ruby immediately approached and hugged her tightly. Dinah returned the hug while catching Normani's eye and giving her a tired smile.

Lauren place Lori down and looked at Normani. Her breath caught. She was trying to stay strong, but seeing Normani was affecting her ability to control her emotions. Normani pulled Lauren close and held her tightly. Lauren buried her head in Normani's neck, fighting tears.

"Hey, I'm here," Normani said softly, "I've got you."

Lauren relaxed into Normani's embrace for a long moment then pulled back and wiped her face. She managed to give Normani a small grin.

"I'm so glad you're here and my girls are here," Lauren said, looking at Lori and Ruby.

Ruby walked over for a hug from Lauren and Normani moved and took Dinah's hand and led her back to the couch. They all sat down, Dinah close to her girlfriend. Normani had her arm draped on the back of the sofa, gently scratching the nape of Dinah's neck. Dinah was clearly relaxing with the contact. Lori was cuddled onto Lauren's lap.