Chapter 33 - Thanksgiving

Camila and Lauren pulled into the long driveway at Eliza's home. Eliza lived on a wooded piece of land that covered more than two acres. The home was large, with a deck running along much of the second floor in the front. Lauren took a long look at the home as she took Lori from her seat in the car.

"Wow, the house is beautiful," Lauren said to Camila.

"Wait til you see the back, overlooking the pond," Camila answered happily, "I love it here."

They grabbed their dishes for the day and Lauren held Lori's hand as they walked into the house. The aroma of the turkey cooking in the oven hit them immediately.

"Camila, you're here!" Eliza said happily as she emerged from the kitchen, "Lauren, Lori – so good to see you again."

Lori moved behind Lauren's leg, peeking out but clenching tightly to her mother.

"Lori, goodness, you're going to trip me," Lauren said, looking down at the small girl.

"Let me take this," Eliza said, grabbing the bowl of cranberry sauce from Lauren, "And you can take care of her."

"Thank you, Eliza," Lauren answered, reaching down and picking up Lori.

Lori immediately clenched Lauren's shirt and held tightly.

"Lori, darling, it's okay," Lauren said, "I'm not going anywhere. You remember Camila's mommy, ZaZa – we met at the Harvest Fest."

Lori nodded her head but stayed quiet.

"Dinah, Normani and Ruby are out back," Eliza said with a smile, looking at Lauren, "Let's join them so Lori can see some familiar faces."

They walked out onto a large back porch and found Dinah and Normani on one of the swings, drinking iced tea and enjoying the beautiful weather. Ruby was inspecting a telescope set up on the far end of the porch. She turned and ran toward them.

"Hey Aunt Laur!," Ruby said happily, "Lori – you're not gonna believe this place – they have a big lake back here with fish and ducks and everything!"

Lori loosened her grip on Lauren slightly but still looked unsure.

"Maybe we could all take a walk down to the pier," Eliza suggested.

"We already went," Dinah said, "You guys go."

"Happy Thanksgiving to you too," Camila teased, looking at Dinah.

Dinah chuckled and mockingly held out her glass to toast Camila.

"Mom, do you have any corn to feed the ducks?" Camila asked.

"Yes, it's in the bin," Eliza answered.

Camila walked over to a metal bin and opened the top. She grabbed a bag and scooped out some of the corn, filling it. She walked over to Lauren and Lori and smiled at the child.

"Wanna come with me to feed some ducks?" she asked.

Lori's eyes grew wide with excitement and she let go of Lauren and practically flung herself into Camila's arms, making both of them smile widely. She held onto Camila comfortably and Camila gave her a tight squeeze before putting her on the ground and getting down on one knee to talk to her.

"I can't hold you down this path," Camila said, "remember my leg boo-boo?"

Lori nodded.

"It's kind of uneven and I have to be careful when I walk there," Camila said, "But we can hold hands the whole way."

"Okay, Camzi," Lori said happily, taking Camila's hand.

Camila stood and her eyes met Dinah's, who had clearly been watching their interaction. Dinah gave Camila a soft, sweet smile. Camila grinned back and turned, holding Lori's hand and started down the path. Ruby was leading the way, having already been down to the waterside. Lauren and Eliza walked behind, engrossed in conversation about the different foliage scattered around the property.