Chapter 7 - Harvest Fest and tacos

Lauren got off the merry-go-round with Lori and Ruby. She was looking a bit paler than usual as she made her way back to the group. Ruby ran over to discuss what to do next with Normani and Dinah. Camila walked over to Lauren and looked at her seriously.

"Are you okay?" Camila asked.

"No more rides for me for a while," Lauren asked, "One more go round and I'd have had to jump off."

"Let me grab you some water," Camila said, hurrying over to the nearest concession stand.

She returned to the group and handed Lauren the bottle. Lauren took a sip and a big breath and looked at Camila.

"Thanks, I'm starting to get my sea legs back," Lauren said, managing a small grin.

"Ruby wants to go on the Ferris Wheel next," Normani said.

"I'm done with rides for a bit," Lauren answered, shaking her head.

"Can I go?" Lori asked, jumping up and down.

"You can't go on this one," Ruby said, "You have to be taller."

Lori's lip immediately pouted out. Lauren was still drinking the water and trying to calm her nausea. Camila looked between them then got on her knee and looked at Lori.

"There are some really fun games we could go play while Ruby does the Ferris Wheel," Camila said, "I can try to win you a prize."

Lori seemed to be considering whether to cry or to go along with Camila.  Luckily, she settled on playing the games and she gave Camila a small nod.

"Do you want to get back in the stroller or do you want a piggyback?" Camila asked.

Lori grinned widely and ran around to climb on Camila's back. Camila stood with the little girl on her back. She felt the soreness in her knee when she stood. She had forgotten entirely that her body wasn't the same anymore. She could feel her anxiety building when she heard her sister's voice.

"No way, I get to be the horse," Dinah said, smiling, "I am way better at piggyback rides!"

Dinah looked at Camila with a reassuring glance.

"She really is better at it," Camila said, turning her head and grinning at Lori, "Is that okay?"

Lori grinned happily, completely unaware of the situation.  Normani was watching the exchange just thinking the Hansen sisters were up to their regular foolishness. Lauren quietly let it all unfold, wondering if the switch was related to Camila's leg pain the day before. Everyone seemed fine so Lauren didn't interfere. Camila moved Lori to Dinah's back.  Dinah immediately whinnied like a horse and started trotting around in big circles. Lori was belly-laughing and holding on for dear life.

"C'mon cowgirls," Dinah said, chuckling, "Let's drop them off at the games then head to the Ferris Wheel!"

"I have a perfectly good stroller right here," Lauren said, laughing, "are you sure you don't want to ride in it, Lori?"

"No way, Mommy!" Lori yelled, grinning and giggling.

They walked to the game area and stopped at the rubber duck pond. Dinah put Lori down and Lauren walked over to pay for a fishing pole so that Lori could play. She handed Lori the pole and turned to the group.

"We're going to head to the big ride area," Normani said, "Text when you guys are ready to meet for lunch, okay?"

"Sounds good," Lauren said, smiling.

"I'm going to the rides," Dinah said to Camila, grinning like a teenager.

"I'll stay with Lauren," Camila said.