Chapter 26 - Salt Lake City Part 1

Camila drove up to Lauren's place and took a deep breath. She couldn't remember the last time she'd been so excited and so nervous about anything. She walked from the car and knocked on the door. Normani greeted her with a smiles as she walked in.

"She's grabbing her last stuff," Normani said, grinning, "Come on, everyone's out back."

They walked out onto the patio in the backyard and Camila immediately began giggling. Normani and Ruby both had bandanas on their heads and plastic swords in hand and were having a mock battle with one another. Lori was chasing them around, laughing every time she was able to get close.

"Avast, maties!" Dinah shouted in an awful pirate accent, stopping in her tracks and pointing her sword at Camila, "Princess Camila of Alta Vista has arrived!"

Lauren walked out onto the patio right as Dinah was making her announcement. Lauren raised an eyebrow and smirked at Camila. Lori ran over and held her arms out to Camila, making Camila's heart melt. Camila picked her up and gave her a hug.

"Dinah is silly," Lori said, giggling.

"Yes, she is," Camila said, "You guys are going to have so much fun!"

Dinah and Ruby walked up to the patio, both breathing a little heavily from running around.

"Okay, that was my workout for the week," Dinah said, grinning.

"You've only been here fifteen minutes," Normani answered, smiling at Dinah, "You have no idea."

"You ready, Lo?" Camila asked, "It'll be better if we beat the traffic."

"Yes," Lauren said, looking at Lori softly and taking her from Camila's arms.

"Big hugs, Mommy," Lori said, wrapping her arms around Lauren's neck. Lauren held her tightly then pulled back and gave her a big grin. Lori wriggled in Lauren's arms and Lauren set her down. Lori immediately grabbed Ruby's hand to pull her back into the yard to play. Ruby chuckled and waved at Lauren and Camila.

"Bye, Aunt Lauren, bye, Camila!" Ruby said happily.

"She'll be fine," Normani said, noting Lauren's expression, "I'll send pictures. Check in as often as you want. Now, get out of here."

"Okay," Lauren said, smiling at Camila.

They walked inside and Lauren rolled her bag out to the car. Camila opened the trunk and grabbed the handle of the bag. She picked it up and found it much heavier than she would have thought. She laughed as she placed it in the trunk.

"Lauren, what do you have in there?" Camila asked, giggling.

"I might have overpacked," Lauren said, grinning as she got into the passenger seat and buckled in.

"Better to be prepared," Camila said, starting the car.

"That's what I told Mani!" Lauren answered, "She thought I was being a little extra."

"Were you?" Camila asked, looking at Lauren with a smirk as she pulled from the driveway and started their trip.

"Yes, but I needed moral support," Lauren said, "And she was giving me grief. She also gave me wine, though, so I guess I can't complain."

Camila laughed, relieved that it seemed that Lauren was just as worked up about the trip as she was. Camila stopped at a stop sign and turned on the sound system. She had prepared a couple of road trip mixes on Spotify and she glanced at Lauren as she picked up her phone.

"I made a fun mix for the ride there," Camila said, smiling widely, "Is that okay?"

"As long as it's not Disney, it's good with me," Lauren said, grinning.