Chapter 18 - Support for Dinah

Dinah soaked in the bathtub, closing her eyes and trying to think of anything other than the horror she had witnessed that day. She thought of her morning at brunch and how wonderfully the day had started before taking a tragic turn.  She felt some comfort thinking about Normani and her growing feelings for the woman. She even managed a small grin remembering how happy Camila was sharing the morning with Lauren. She realized she hadn't checked her phone and picked it up to find a message waiting.

Normani: Hope everything is okay. Talk soon?

Dinah wondered how she should reply. She was too exhausted to relive the events of the day with Normani. She knew if she called, she would inevitably get emotional again, so she decided to reply by text.

Dinah: I had a really tough day and I'm exhausted. Call you tomorrow

She placed the phone down and it buzzed almost immediately with a reply.

Normani: okay come for lunch if you want

Dinah sighed and felt emotion welling in her again. She decided to wait until morning to decide what to do about Normani. She got out of the tub, immediately feeling a chill on her skin. She grabbed a towel and dried off and put on her pajamas. She walked out to find all the lights off except for Camila's room. She stuck her head in and Camila looked up from the book she was reading.

"Come here," Camila said, patting the bed beside her.

Dinah walked over and slid into the bed. Camila immediately pulled her close and Dinah snuggled into her.

"I don't know what I'm supposed to do if I can't go to work," Dinah sighed out sadly.

"It'll probably be for just a few days, right?" Camila asked.

"I think so," Dinah said, "The chief told me he was confident I hadn't done anything wrong, but that they would have to interview everyone. He was hoping I could be back as early as later this week."

"DJ, I'm not a cop, but it doesn't sound like anyone did anything wrong," Camila said, "It sounds like a tragic situation with a mentally unstable man – and he had a gun."

"I think so, too," Dinah said, "Except that a cop fired first, and whenever that happens there's always questions."

"I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, DJ," Camila said, gently rubbing her sister's shoulder.

"Yeah, me too," Dinah said, shifting a little away from Camila and propping up her pillow, "Can we put on a movie or something?  I need a distraction."

"Sure," Camila said, "Pick whatever."

Dinah scanned the options and decided she didn't want anything violent or sad. She finally settled on Sex Education and they settled in to watch. By the end of the second episode Camila was sleeping soundly but Dinah was still wide awake. She turned off the television and attempted to will herself to get some rest. She eventually succumbed to fitful sleep, waking often and never really finding any peaceful rest.

*******************

Camila woke up to her phone alarm and shut if off, turning over and wiping at her eyes. Her mind went back to the previous evening and she glanced over at the empty bed next to her. She immediately got up and walked out into the den to find Dinah, sitting in the quiet gazing out the window while drinking a cup of coffee. Camila walked over and rubbed her shoulder.

"Did you get any sleep?" Camila asked, softly.

"A little," Dinah sighed out, "I can bring you to class whenever you're ready."

"I'm okay to drive," Camila said, "I feel much better."

"Nope, not until Ally sees you and clears you tomorrow," Dinah said, still gazing out the window.