Chapter 3. A Rare Species

Dycland let his guard down. He did not notice that the Mountain Guard's silver sword was coated with liquified wolfsbane: a deadly poison flower for a werewolf like him. He strongly believed that getting cut by the sword would not be a problem but as he exchanged blows with the Mountain Guard, his comrade pricked him in any possible opportunity with their own sword. It was too late when he realized that the swords were poisoned. His knees weakened, making him kneel on the grass. His eyesight blurred and lost its red glow returning to his original green eyes. His stomach churned and he felt so hot.

Weakened by the poison, the Mountain Guards lunged at him and pinned him on the ground. He can not fight back due to the nuisance and numbness he felt. One Mountain Guard was giving orders to others but Dycland couldn't understand what he was saying. Everything around him was swirling. The Mountain guards' words were slurred and impossible to understand for him. They put a sandbag on his head, tied his hands and feet, and then forced him to get up. But when he can't even find his balance to stand, two Mountain Guards carry him holding on his tied feet and underarms. As they go down the mountain, the poison in Dycland's body spread all throughout his veins, knocking him unconscious.

When Dycland regained consciousness he was in a moving vehicle. He was locked up in a cage that fits his size perfectly. He tried to sit up and was surprised to be able to do that despite the shaking. He breathed in deeply only to regret it when he felt his lung squeezing his heart. The whole space was sprayed with wolfsbane. He pressed a fist on his chest in pain. He paused for seconds and waited til the pain subsided. He calmed himself down with shallow breathing and he examined himself for any more injury. Against the dimly lit place which looks like the back of a truck with big tarpaulin as its roof he could see his wounds were tended and were wrapped in clean cloth bandages. A spider-like web of violet and red veins is showing all over his cuffed arms, stomach, and neck to his face which means there are still traces of poison in him. He thinks the mountain guards gave him a little dose of antidote to let him live long enough and weak until they reach their destination.

How long was he out anyway? Are the others safe? Did they get away just in time? These questions popped out in his mind as he looked around him. He touched the bar of the cage he's in and got burned. He quickly pulled back his hands and looked at it sizzled and smoked. When the smoke on his burnt hands disappeared, he saw that the top of his skin reddened. He curled his hand in a fist top hoping to lessen the sting he's feeling. He did not dare get close to the bars and stayed in the middle of the cage. It was made of silver, like the swords the Mountain Guards have. It seems like these patrol scouts were ready to apprehend werebeasts like him. He just hopes that no one other than him got caught.

Thinking about the others, Dycland realizes that he can find out if the others are okay. Thankfully, their kind, the werewolves, are able to communicate telepathically. Though it only works for the Alpha leader and the messenger of the pack, it is very handy. Dycland closed his eyes and heightened his senses. He feels the shaking of the vehicle, the ground, the wind . . . and there! A presence. 'So he was following me. Good job, Yohan,' he thought as he felt the fast moving movement on the high ground beside the road the caravan's taking.

Yohan is the messenger and the only Delta member of the pack. He's mute but has the strongest mindlink with Dycland among the members, hence, he was assigned in the position. He lost his voice a long time ago in a fight when he was still a lone wolf. He's the only one Dycland personally chose and persuaded to join his pack.

"Can you hear me, Yohan?" said Dycland in his mind. He waited for a response and after a couple of seconds, he heard Yohan's worried voice.

"Yes. Are you akay, D? Should I call the others? Or . . . I can just kill all those guards at that caravan and set you free," Hans answered