Chapter 9. A Ridiculous Contract

"THIS way," said Fritz.

Dycland follows Fritz to what looks like the reception area. There are rows of empty benches lined up facing a glass window counter.

The place looked pretty deserted if only it's not squeaky clean.

"What is this place?" Dycland asked.

"A hospital. It was abandoned a long time ago." Fritz answered.

"Still looks like it to me," commented Dycland, looking around.

They passed the reception area and into a long brightly lit hallway. As they walk in the hallway, Dycland notices the doors that are tightly closed. He even tried to turn one door knob but Elvin, who's walking close behind him, slapped his hands away.

He gave him a glare which the latter returned with more intensity.

Suddenly, Fritz started talking. "We purchased this hospital-me and Elvin, like a year ago. We decided to have it for research that is of course, supported by the Governor. Procuring it wasn't easy though. The Old Cabrera was not ready to sell this at the time. But Elvin made him sell it. Elvin's a great persuader, you know-"

"I bet," muttered Dycland under his breath.

"-and then Old Cabby sold it to us at a very low price! It was a surprise for me, 'coz the first time we discussed things he was not cooperative. He even kicked us out of his state. Rude, don't you say? But Elvin's a magician when it comes to business talk! Right, Elvin? You were very good that time!" Laughed Fritz, taking a glance at Elvin.

"Thank you," said Elvin politely.

Dycland looked at Elvin, sniggering. Elvin scowled at him in return. Rolling his eyes, Dycland continued talking to Fritz.

"And what do you use this building for? Free medication consultation or something?" Dycland asked, distracted by Fritz's bouncing messy hair. The young man was walking in front.

"What? No, of course not!" Scoffed Fritz. "Do we look like a charity to you?"

"Then what?"

"Isn't it obvious? We live here! Is that right, Elvin?

"Yes," answered Elvin.

'No, it's not,' Dycland turned to Elvin, frowning. The man did not spare him a glance.

Fritz continued. "See? We use this building as the living quarters. The real hospital's behind this one. You'll see! But before we go there, let's go to my office first." Frits suddenly stop in front of the door on their right.

"Elvin, key." Fritz said, stretching out an open hand to Elvin.

Dycland heard a rustle behind him. Elvin walked past him, bumping his shoulder hard. Dycland staggered on his feet but regained his balance immediately.

"What the . . ." Dycland reacts in astonishment. He looked at Elvin's back, wide eyed.

"Here," said Elvin, giving the key to Fritz. He was acting like he's not guilty of anything.

On the other hand, Fritz was clueless to the silent war between Elvin and Dycland. He even replied to Elvin in a cheery voice, "Thank you!"

As Fritz fumbled over the keyhole and the key, Elvin looked sideways at Dycland. His smug face was enough for Dycland to plan a hundred ways on how he'll rip that face off his head.

This guy's really testing his patience, he thought.

If not for his hands tied and weak disposition, he'll lunge himself unto this ugly and break his jaw. Maybe even break his bones and rip off his throat.