~When They Were Young~

"'They called you the Glue'
'The Glue?'
'Yeah. Probably because you're kind of the glue that holds us all together"
James Dashner, The Scorch Trials

╔══════════*.·:·.✧✦✧.·:·.*══════════╗

It was a dark snowy night. Barbed wire fences surrounded the facility. Giant lights lit up the snow on the ground. And all around there were people, shouting, crying, and waving.

Everyone was wearing masks. Some people decided not to though, thinking it was too good for them. They were stuck outside this fence, a warning sign denying their passage through.

People wearing Hazmat suits stood along the fence lines, the linked chain wire rattling behind them.

Police dogs barked. People pushed and shoved as you grasped your father for dear life.

You gripped his neck tighter, confused and scared.

When you reached the gates to the fence, people in the hazmat suits signaled toward you and your dad. You fearfully look back toward them. Were they going to take you? Beside you were a mother and her little boy as well.

She was telling him in a fearful hushed tone how much she loved him. He nodded while the people in suits dragged him away. You looked at your dad, he stared back down with glassy eyes.

"I love you, y/n. This is for your own good," he said before the people came back to get you too. And as you were forced away and picked up by the people you screamed just like the little boy.

Now you were on a train full of kids, and people with guns were sitting right in front of you. The kids looked to be chained, each wearing the same blank expression.

A pretty lady with a white lab coat stepped toward you, then she glanced between you and the boy sitting beside you.

"Thomas, it's okay," she told the small boy. "y/n, your dad will be here with you soon." she assured you.

You just stared at her as she leaned against the window of the train, not knowing where it was taking you. She smiled back at you both.

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙  *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ .

Running, it felt good. But running through the maze was never good. There was a griever on your tail as you ran through the stone walls. Each corridor seemed to get longer and longer. You didn't want to be in there again, you didn't want to be anywhere. You wanted peace.

As you neared the end of a long corridor you realized it was a dead-end and the griever came up to you, about to stab you with its tail when...

You woke up.

"y/n!!! y/n!!!" someone screamed with urgency near you. You glanced at your surroundings finding yourself in a helicopter, Thomas shaking you awake. You hurriedly got up as some guys with goggles and weird face masks yelled at you to get out of there. You suddenly remembered Chuck's statue and ran back for it, seizing it in your hand.

Then you heard a broken scream, or at least you thought before the weird people yelled, "CRANKS!!"

"We gotta move!" And you heard gunshots behind you as Thomas held onto your hand for dear life and you ran towards a large facility. With the lights leading your way everyone ran. You saw a 'crank' get shot as the helicopter took off and then the doors to the facility closed.

Newt rushed over to you, checking you over once. "Are you okay?" he asked hurriedly.

"Yeah, you?"

"Yeah, you scared me back there."

"Me? How?" And then you remembered your arm. You looked down to see it bandaged up, blood seeping through the dressings already.

When you finally got a chance to look around you noticed all the military personnel. Newt grabbed your hand, to make sure he didn't lose you.

╚══════════*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*══════════╝

612 words

This is short due to it being the introduction to this book basically. Thanks for reading!

QOTD: What's your favorite kind of chocolate?

Milk chocolate!!🍫