~Sickly~

"I think we should take a break, fill our little tummies and drink up."

James Dashner, The Scorch Trials

⚠️TRIGGER WARNING⚠️
from this chapter and further on there are mentions of certain disturbing things. do not read if you are uncomfortable with mentions of things.

╔══════════*.·:·.✧✦✧.·:·.*══════════╗

In the following days, Thomas paid more attention to Brenda and Teresa. He always checked on how Brenda was doing, and always talked to Teresa. It really hurt.

You began to notice Teresa's suspicious behavior as well. Always checking where everyone was, always watching you specifically.

One morning, you sat by the fire. The sun had still yet to rise and Newt sat between your legs with his head resting on your belly as you carded your fingers through his hair. For a moment, you paused.

"What's wrong, love?" Newt asked worried, reaching up to grab one of your hands that was tangled in his beachy locks.

"Nothing's wrong," you answered, sighing contentedly. You leaned over to kiss the top of Newt's head.

"Got yourself a good one there, eh?" Minho said, walking over to the two of you. Newt grumbled some weird response. You just laughed a bit, well, tried to laugh.

You looked towards the horizon. After a while, everyone began getting up for the day and the few groups of people by the campfire grew steadily. By the time the sun was up, breakfast was cooking and Newt had switched places with you, deciding to do your hair like Chuck had taught him to.

"I wish Alby could see this," Newt exclaimed softly.

"Yeah, and Chuck." you said.

"And Winston," Frypan added from beside you.

"And Gally, though I'm not sure he would be too pleased at the state of these tents," you giggled to yourself.

"No joke." Newt let out a small laugh as well. It had been a while since you had heard him laugh, it was a calming sound. It rang through your ears and you leaned your head back, letting Newt do the talking.

"Hey, I wasn't done!" Newt complained as he tried to lift your head off of his chest.

"'S okay." you managed to get out, turning around a bit to wrap your arms around him. He sucked in a breath as you did so, obviously surprised. Your heart soared through the sky when he set your hair down and wrapped his arms back around you, using his strength to pull you up from the ground and onto his lap, you wrapping your legs around his waist. You laid your head on his shoulder and breathed in the scent of nature he had carried with him.

"Love, we need to eat breakfast," Newt whispered after a couple of minutes. Sure enough, they were passing around bits of different foods.

"M'kay."

Once you disentangled from him, you had been passed a roll and a small cracked plate with some weird looking beans on it. You weren't hungry. You hadn't eaten anything since you made it to camp and last time you learned the hard way what happens after you don't eat for a while and suddenly start eating again. Safe to say, it was not pleasant.