~Janson~

"False hope," she said. "Guess that's better than no hope at all."
James Dashner, The Scorch Trials

╔══════════*.·:·.✧✦✧.·:·.*══════════╗

The sound of the metal door opening got everyone to their feet. A man walked through.

"You kids doing alright?" This mystery man asked. "Sorry about all the fuss we had ourselves a bit of a swarm," he further explained.

Teresa, who was braiding your hair at the time, had gotten up leaving the braid to fall out and your hair to hang loosely.

Thomas stood on your left, and Newt on your right. Minho was behind you playing with his hands and scoping out this man and basically the whole room. Everyone walked over when the guy started talking though.

"Who are you?" Thomas asked.

"I'm the reason you're all still alive."

You immediately recognized him from your dream.

He led you through a construction area as he talked about everything that was going on and why they have this place. That they were going to take you home. But not really home...

"Why are you helping us?" Minho asked suddenly. The man, who you learned to be Mr. Janson, stopped and looked thoughtful for a moment before explaining the world's situation. He kept glancing at you during his speech, and you at him. It was the same guy, right?

You hated the idea of being targeted. You looked around while Newt held onto your hand for dear life as you walked. No matter what he wasn't going to let you go.

Mr. Janson swiped a key card of sorts and a huge door opened, supposedly leading you to your 'new lives' he claimed. There was a hallway, and then he stepped in front of everyone. "First things first, let's do something about that smell," he stated.

Newt looked at you as he lead everyone to the shower rooms, still clutching your hand in his. "Will you be okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine, don't worry," you said.

Thomas's shoulder bumped you on the other side and he smiled in your direction before putting a hand on your shoulder. "You better be okay, otherwise I'm going to have to kill that Mr. Janson guy. Though I already want to," he whispers to you.

"This is heartwarming and all, but let's go." The Mr. Janson guy said from behind you three. You blushed a bit before stealing one last glance at Thomas and Newt before heading your separate ways.

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙  *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ .

Hot water streamed down your body as you leaned against the shower wall. Your gunshot wound stung and the pain was hellish but it felt so nice to wash everything away down the drain. The horrors, the dust, the blood. A mild headache that had come as the result of dreaming about past memories settled into the back of your head. But not for long as the steaming water melted even that too, down the small drain beneath your toes.

Your hair grew wet and hung down like matted masses. A few strands let loose and scuttled down the drain. You tried to comb through it with your hands as best as you could. You rubbed at your eyes under the steaming water. Three or four eyelashes popped out with the sudden abrasive motion. And as you saw all the dirt and blood get washed down the drain you thought to yourself. Is this what a normal human should feel like?

The shower was nice and the warm blanket of a towel wrapped around you after was even nicer. You swore you could fall asleep right then and there, but you noticed the hair brushes laid out for you and Teresa. You took the bristles and ran them through your hair a few times, noticing how it flattened and straightened. How it looked less gnarled and as you stared at yourself in the mirror you realized it was one of the few times you actually saw yourself. Back in the maze the mirror you had once seen stayed in the boys' shower area. They never unearthed another one so you had only seen yourself once. You had y/h/l, y/h/c hair, and y/e/c eyes. y/s/t skin and a few freckles speckled here and there. Your eyelashes clung to each other as droplets of water stayed afloat on them. You looked down at your hands and your body, letting yourself take in how you looked from each angle. Some of it you loved, other parts you hated. But it was okay.