~Decisions To Make, People To Save~

⚠️ !trigger warning! ⚠️
(all caps in this chapter)

"'No. I kind of accepted it, in a way. That saving you was worth losing what we might've had."

James Dashner, The Scorch Trials

╔══════════*.·:·.✧✦✧.·:·.*══════════╗

You wandered through what now seemed to be a camp full of corpses. There were so many bodies. You never did figure out if you were glad to not be one of them. There was no time to do that right now.

Thomas was packing things away. Frypan was sitting down. Newt was walking towards you as you paced.

"Love, stop pacing." He grabbed you by the arms as yours were folded. "Please?" he asked.

You sighed heartily, but ceased your pacing. You walked over to Thomas as he packed things up. You reached a hand out to touch his shoulder but the second you did he rounded on you.

"Why?" he asked. You thought back to last night, thinking he was asking why you tried to kill yourself, not once but twice. But instead he rounded on you. "WHY DIDNT YOU SAVE HIM?!" he yelled at you. You were shocked at his sudden outburst.

"I- what?"

"YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT HOW YOU LIVE TO SAVE PEOPLE, SO WHY DIDNT YOU SAVE HIM?!" he screamed at you with tears in his eyes.

"Hey, Thomas... Please calm down."

"CALM DOWN? WHY DIDNT YOU CALM DOWN AND SAVE MINHO?!"

"Be- because..."

"YEAH, YOU TRIED TO SHOOT YOURSELF BUT ISN'T MINHO'S LIFE MORE IMPORTANT?! YOURE A FAILURE!" he yelled at you.

"Hey, Thomas, we still have time to save him, we can make a plan and-"

"AND WHAT?! ALL GET TRAPPED AND HAVE IT FAIL?!"

"Don't you want to save him!" you cried desperately. Thomas was angry and you were a bit scared but he needed to calm down.

You saw the pain flicker in his eyes. "Yeah..." he whispered. You walked up to him and hugged him. He squeezed you tight and began to cry into your shoulder. You didn't mind too much as he let his emotions out.

"We'll save him, don't worry." you whispered to him. "Then we'll all make it to the safe haven together. You can trust me. I swear that no one else will get hurt and if they do, we'll save them too!" you smiled as he lifted his head from your shoulder.

"Alright... alright, let's do it." he said, barely smiling. "I made a promise to him, that I would never leave him behind. We're going to save Minho." You smiled at Thomas's happy to have resolved the situation.

Newt got up, and began to walk towards the two of you. "I wanna say something, I've known Minho for- for as long as I can remember. So if there is any way we can help him, trust me I would be up there standing next to you. This, what you're talking about, is impossible."

"More like suicide," Jorge said.

"Maybe, but I know what I'm supposed to do now. It's not just about Minho, it's about all of us. It's about everyone WCKD's ever taken, everyone they will take. They'll never stop. They'll never stop, so, I'm gonna stop them. I'm gonna kill Ava Paige." Thomas stated, confident in his idea.

"I have to admit, I'd like some revenge." Harriet said.

"Well that's a good speech kid, so what's your plan?" Vince asked.

Everyone turned to look at Thomas, eagerly awaiting.

He looked at you and smiled.

╚══════════*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*══════════╝

549 words