~A Storm Was Brewing~

"He turned to look just in time to see the rain start falling out as if the storm had finally decided to weep with shame for what it had done to them."

James Dashner, The Scorch Trials

╔══════════*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*══════════╗

After the first day, and then the second, and now on your third, everyone was tired. You were running out of water and Minho threw his bottle back in his bag in frustration after drinking the last drop. You felt this responsibility to take care of everyone, but since Winston's death, you hadn't been able to say a word. But nevertheless, you took care of them in your own ways.

You began to get thirsty after walking for a while. Newt may be psychic or something because he could tell, but you could care less.

"Here, you can have my last bit of water if you're thirsty," Newt offered, holding the bottle out in front of you.

You gave him the look that said 'I am fully convinced you were never taught the basics of living. You need water to survive.' You pushed the water bottle back towards him. He hadn't had a drink of water since you guys got up practically. He needed it more than you did. He tried to give it back to you but instead Minho barged in.

"If you guys aren't going to drink the water then I am," he stated before taking half the rest of it. When he handed it back to Newt you practically forced the remaining down his throat. After a minute, Newt admitted to it.

"Thanks, y/n, I guess I needed that water more than I thought I did." You just tried to smile at him, glad you were able to help. Even if you had to force him to drink it.

Each step you took on the dusty surface reminded you that you guys were closer to the mountains and finding the Right Arm. You hadn't lost hope yet.

That night, you couldn't fall asleep. Winston shouting at you replayed over and over again in your head. So, you walked a bit away from the group of sleeping people and lay on your back, with your limbs spread out. You stared up into the night sky, willing yourself to think of something happy. The only thing that came to mind at that moment was Newt and Thomas. You liked Newt's hair and Thomas's eyes. How adventurous and kind the two were and how well they worked together as a pair. Then your mind ventured to Minho, Winston, and Frypan. And finally landed on Teresa. After going through all the things you were happy for you decided your Glade family was the top of the list.

After you stared at the stars for what seemed like an eternity you saw someone approaching. It was Thomas.

"Hey, why are you still awake?" he inquired carefully.

You shrugged not sure how to answer him. Every time you closed your eyes you were closer and closer to falling asleep anyways. So it's not like it was going to be long.

"Y/n, answer me," Thomas pleaded, placing his hand on top of your outstretched one. You glanced at him beside you. Like the night you had woken up in the Glade, you got lost in his eyes. You were in a trance before he waved a hand in front of your face.

You opened your mouth but closed it again out of fear. Scared you would say something that would ruin somebody's life again.

"Hey, clover," Thomas said, using his nickname for you. This got your attention. "Is it because of what Winston said to you?"

You slowly nodded before turning on your side and squeezing Thomas's hand. He pulled you into him and wrapped his arms around you.

"He wasn't himself okay? Don't give up hope yet," Thomas began. "Also, I think you should stop with this silent treatment," he proclaimed, reaching a finger up to poke you on the nose. "Everyone is more depressed because you're not talking, so maybe if you start talking again people will be happier?"