~Teresa's Betrayal~

"The betrayal meant he couldn't trust her anymore, and his heart told him he couldn't forgive her."

James Dashner, The Scorch Trials

╔══════════*.·:·.✧✦✧.·:·.*══════════╗

It was the last day before the camp's departure. Everyone was busy packing things and organizing other things. You were standing in the middle of camp, watching people busy themselves with various tasks. Newt had long since wandered off after giving you a longing hug. You were lost in your thoughts as per usual nowadays when you bumped into someone unexpected.

"Sorry," you mumbled after knocking your head into their chest. You looked up to notice Thomas's eyes peering down at you.

"y/n..." he breathed with a smile tugging at his lips. After days of no contact with Thomas, you had been working hard to steel yourself enough to walk past him. But your body had the opposite reaction. The second he put his hands on your shoulders you wanted more. It had been so long. Or at least, it had felt so long.

You gave him a shy but hopeful smile.

"Hey, funny bumping into you. I was-"

"A bit lost?" he asked, his tiny smile growing. "Yeah, I noticed."

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙  *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ .
(Newt's pov)

Nearby, Newt stopped his task. He had seen you bump into Thomas. He wasn't sure how it was going to pan out, and even though Thomas was one of his best friends, he secretly hoped it wouldn't be good.

Newt knew the second Thomas apologized for whatever he did, he would lose you. This was a game of tug-of-war between them. And currently, he was winning. But Thomas had just as much of a chance, if not more, to be with you.

He had no reason to worry, you had just kissed him. You had just confessed your deepest secrets and feelings to him. But he worried, he was downright scared of losing you. He secretly loved that you had been staying away from Thomas all this time, and now... What was he going to do?

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙  *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ .
(your pov)

"Yeah... I'm not sure I'd be much of a help around here. People seem to have things figured out." you stated, shrugging.

"Maybe, but you could always offer your help. I think they'd appreciate that." Thomas suggested.

"Yeah," you trailed off. In a fleeting moment, you hugged him. "Thank you," you whispered into his chest. You were quite certain he had heard you when a sudden blush spread across the tips of his ears and his cheeks. Quite the same for you as an eruption of warm tingles spread through you body, the close contact was nothing like you had had kissing Newt that morning. But they were not the same person either, so that was to be expected, but also unexpected in similar ways.

You painstakingly let go, too soon, you thought.

And off to work you went, helping haul small duffel bags and plastic boxes containing who knows what.