Chapter 9

A/N
This is a short Chapter containing Vegas' POV of what happened in the previous chapter. :)

-JOEY 💖

Vegas' POV

I will never allow anyone to touch my nanny's letter. How the fuck did I leave it at the bar? I feel shame and annoyance that Pete and his grandma had to see me breakdown like that. I feel so unpleasant that I want to let it out on someone.

"I didn't read it! I don't want to read it. I don't even like reading, Vegas!" Pete complained when I grabbed his arm. I guess he didn't read it but I'm looking for a fight and he looks like the perfect punching bag.

I'm used to beating people up when I'm mad or frustrated. That's just how I've always been. This is how I blow off some steam. Right now, I want to let it out on this asshole who thinks he's so great. He kept struggling to get away from me as I gripped his arm tightly. I suddenly let go and he falls on the sand.

He must have been drunk because his footing and balance seem off. He can't even stand no matter how hard he tried. Pete eventually gave up and just laid on his back on the sand.

I walk closer to him. I can still beat him up. It doesn't matter if he can fight or not.

Whether he's lying still looking helpless, I don't care.

I feel the rage inside me burning. There's no other way to relieve it than to beat up or fuck someone, maybe both.

Hmmm what should I do to you, Pete?

"Look, Vegas. There are so many stars."
He said while lazily pointing at the sky.

Stars? I feel the tension on my shoulder being relieved, slowly loosening them up as they went down. What the fuck is he talking about? I point my flashlight at him to see his face.

He's smiling.

Don't you feel any fear, Pete? He covers his eyes because the glare from the flashlight. Now all I can see are his lips and cheeks while he's smiling. He has dimples too.

I suddenly feel the urge to come closer to him. I sat beside him and adjusted my flashlight to the lowest setting so it's just bright enough for me to see his face. This person must be insane.

Pete is someone so strange. He's a top-ranked bodyguard to one of the biggest mafia families in Asia but he's as gentle as a tamed dog. Come to think of it, he really is like a dog.

Dogs are extremely obedient and loyal to their masters but they bite and fight with their lives when their master is in a bind. This person right here is a sharpshooter, a scheming investigator, a professional boxer, a well-versed fighter in almost every field but he's weird.

Pete is the type of person I feel would make flowers bloom by just touching them.

When he walks in a park at night and sensorized lights turn on to light the path, he looks like someone who would find that fun. For people like me, someone like Pete should be avoided.

"Don't worry, Vegas. I'll be your friend." He says in his sleep

One like him could offer the most dangerous of all drugs---
.
.
.
.
.
.
Hope.

"You get a free pass, Pete. I guess I won't hurt you tonight." I sit beside him and look up at the sky.

Huh, he was right, it must be Four a.m. right now and there are so many stars. You won't see them like this in Bangkok.

I lay down on my side and put my elbow on the sand so I can rest my head on the palm of my hand to look at him.

His lips are moving and he's saying something. I put my face closer to his to hear him better.

"Vegas, I'll kick your butt" He's a sleep-talker too?

I bit my lower lip to keep myself from smiling. Fuck! How can my eldest cousin's head bodyguard be this---adorable?

I move my hand to pinch his cheek but he suddenly pulled me close into a hug and stroked my hair.

"Don't worry, Grandma. I'll protect you." He then kissed my forehead. What a crazy asshole.

He hugged me tighter before he whispered.

"No one can hurt you. I love you"

No one has and no one will ever say that to me and mean it the way he means it for his grandma.

I cannot move away and for some reason, I decided to wrap my free arm around him.

Just for today, maybe I'll pretend to be grandma. It's okay. No one's gonna know.