chap 34

R I Y A •

I thought of all the things in the next 24 hours. Pros and cons of going with Yawar.

I wouldn't run away.

But wasn't these two the same things?

That's how poeple will see it.

Murtaza's daughter eloped with her ex-fiancée. This is exactly how people will talk about it.

I shook my head in horror.

But then on the other hand, it was Hambal whom I would never ever marry. No matter what they say. I will fight against it till my last breath.

It was Saturday evening and I am not gonna lie I was counting hours until going back to hostel. This home felt like a cell.

I was working on my assignment but due to constant focusing on screen and all the stress around me, my head started to pound like maniac and hence I decided to take a break and make myself a cup of tea.

I dialled Kanwal's number for once and as usual she didn't pick up. I didn't know why she was punishing me for all this as if it was my fault.

I threw the phone on bed with anger and went to kitchen.

My tea was midway ready when Tayi Ammi walked in. As our eyes met, her face expressions changed and she stood at her place for a second before continuing to walk to do whatever she had come to do.

A good few seconds went by and it was all quiet until she said.

"After destroying my daughter's home, you are here making yourself a nice cup of tea."

I looked left and right to see if she was talking to someone else or me. "Sorry?"

"You heard it clearly."

"I destroyed no one's home. In fact everyone is destroying me."

"I cannot believe it. You should be crying or praying in a corner of this home after what is happening with you and because of you. Running your mouth like a scissor wouldn't help."

I stood dumbfounded as she walked away.

Chugging down tea and completing my assignment didn't help in making me feel pacific. Instead I was like a pirate ship sailing on a stormy sea full of mermaids that were convincing me that it was okay, i wouldn't drown.

What a funny and weird explanation!

Night was falling in its glory, provoking the demons tucked away in everyone's minds. I could feel them lurking somewhere deep in my head, reminding of the days when I was haunted by them.

But it was over now. I had bigger problems to take care of.

This time there were actual humans that were haunting me and not some imaginary ghosts messing with the snippets of my memories.

Absentmindedly, I walked up the stairs to the terrace. Unbolting the rusted door, I made my way out into the open air; to a place that reminded me of him.