Chap 17

•RIYA•

Next morning without Kanwal felt so gloomy. I got out of my bed and frowned at the empty bed beside me. How weird? She was here last morning with me. I helped her with beauticians and nervousness, it looked a minute ago.

When I reached downstairs I realised I was late as everyone else was busy with breakfast. I said my morning Salam and joined them all as the silence stretched between us. It felt like Kanwal had taken Zain's tongue with her. He always pissed me off with his lame jokes and now him being silent and minding his own business made me pucker.

I glanced at Yawar who sat across me. It felt good to see him. He didn't disturb me with his presence neither made me uncomfortable. But that fact can't be ignored that we had grown comfortable in each other's company. Kanwal wedding was a good way to know him. I barely had a glimpse of him behind the walls he had created. He often felt lost to me, sometimes too intimidating and sometimes unreadable.

But now I couldn't imagine someone else to live my life with. I had adapted myself to him. His dark vibes were eye-catching. Only two short meetings at terrace and I knew I was down.

Five months and I was fully contented with the ring in my finger even though at first day of our betrothment I had cried like idiots.

I cleared my throat and had a sip of orange juice, my absolute favourite.

After we had our breakfasts. Elders dived into the conversation about how wedding went whilst I went back to my room to check on my Walima dress that will I wear tonight.

***

When we reached the hall, I was awestruck. I never knew that this city could have a building this magnificent! I couldn't wait to have my Walima here. "Are you gonna stay outside for tonight?" That voice startled me and I turned on my heels to find Yawar checking the lock of his car. It was when I noticed everyone else had run inside as they were already late.

I shook my head more like to myself as he walked ahead and went inside. I followed him and found several men gawking at me, sitting on their table. Yawar who was confused as to why people were peeking behind him, turned around and he was taken aback. 

"Riya what are you doing here?"

My face flushed. What did he mean by that? "To attend the wedding." I didn't see any woman though. What sort of wedding is that?

"It's the men hall. Go to the women one." He whispered.

"Oh!" My cheeks must have turned red as I looked down. I felt several eyes on me and i ran back to the lobby, not wanting to be the centre of attention. I saw another entrance where some dressed kids were standing and eating ice creams, not good for their poor clothes because it was melting and drippings down. I was relieved to find many females in there, dressed to their finest.

I walked in after I smacked my fingers against my cheeks several times so that they weren't radiating out heat anymore. My eyes fell on stage and my breath was caught in the middle of my throat. There was the most elegant woman, my baby, cladded in white. Her shimmery dress flowing all way down the sofa and partly on stage as she sat royally.

"Kanwal!" I almost squealed, my voice turning many heads towards me from the stage. But at that instant I couldn't keep it in, I had that urge to give out a shriek.