Chap 20

Riya•

I went downstairs and started to make tea for us. I checked the fridge and found the left overs of pizza from the last night, I and Kanwal had eaten.

I rolled my eyes when my eyes fell at the bread pieces. She had that weird habit of eating the fillings and leaving the boundary. Like who does that?

Tea boiled up and i got two cups ready for us, warming two untouched pieces of pizza as well as my stomach felt a zoo in there.

Calling her from downstairs, I plated out our breakfast and sat in the stairs of the lawn which lead to the backdoor of kitchen. On the three steps cemented stairs, a few dried leaves were lying which I picked up and threw away.

How many days it had been since I hadn't talked to Yawar. In the start few days after our late night chat, he did text me but I didn't reply. Now he has stopped too.

I didn't understand it. But I felt myself extremely left out. As if I didn't matter in anyone's life. It was as if after my mother no one was there for me to understand me. No one knew the hidden meaning behind the words I said.

I have always been a third wheel. Always!

And for once after my mother, in these two years someone made me feel special. Someone made me realise that i mattered too.

Alas the momentariness of our happy moments!

The person who i stole glances at also turned out to be person who had rejected me once in the very initial days of our relationship. For who I was nothing but a compromise, a compromise to make his grandmother happy when on the other hand he loved someone else.

All these realisations hit me like tsunami hitting a single small building, standing all alone in a remote area.

Just as I looked at the tray in front of me, I couldn't eat it. My appetite was gone. Kanwal tapped my shoulder and sat beside me with the tray lying in between us.

"Ugh why pizza?"

I shrugged, "felt like eating it."

"Then eat. Tea is good by the way."

I shook my head, "thanks for the compliment."

"So you are saying we are gonna just stare at it." She said, pointing at pizza.

I shrugged, "no we put it back in fridge."

She looked at me like I did a crime. Then why did you bring it?"

"You ask a lot of questions Kanwal. Now tell me about Raheel. How's he to you?"

***

At noon, I was going into my father's room to ask him when was he booking tickets again. I really needed to go back. Pakistan had lost its charm for me. I was missing my deserted home for some reason.

I wanted to knock but found the room door ajar making me overhear my father taking to my uncle about something. I may have walked past but stopped in my track when I heard Yawar name.

What made them discuss him?

I took stairs and walked to my room to talk to one my college friends.