Chap 26

• RIYA •

I heard wind blowing as i stirred in my slumber. I slowly opened my eyes only to find myself in a meadow. I looked up straight at deep blue sky as the bright day light made my eyes squint making me shut them tightly. After blinking for several times, I opened them again and adjusted them to illumination around me.

The noise of water running had me sit up. In front of me was a waterfall, as beautiful as a piece of heaven. Water reflecting the colour of sky. Water vapours appeared like a dense white cloud ready to pour down in front of me.

I slowly straightened up my body and stood up letting my light green dress fly along the wind. View in front of me was indeed beyond beautiful. As the air blew, the loose scarf that was wrapped around my head flew away and tangled around my neck. I closed my eyes and felt the beautiful sensation of wind ruffling through my hair. It was so peaceful.

On hearing melodious chirping of birds that were so unfamiliar to me i opened my eyes again. I gasped loudly when i found myself standing on the edge of the cliff, just beside the waterfall. I took several steps back.

Where was i?

I started to look around only to find some lady sitting in distance. I looked up at her to find that she was already looking up at me. Unknowingly i started walking towards her. She was dressed in a white long gown.

I froze when my eyes made out the face of the woman. I felt my heart fall into an abyss. My hands started trembling and my vision got blurred. Blinking several times to let the tears flow down, my eyes came back in contact with the most beautiful lady sitting in front of me.

"Mama?"

She smiled shaking her head and then looked at me with a shine in her eyes. I didn't move in fear that if i did she will disappear. My knees felt weak and I let myself slump down defeatedly.

Her hands reached towards my face, cupping it. Her fingers stroked my cheeks.

That familiar touch.

How much I missed it!

I wish I could tell her all my miseries. I wish I could make the time stop and spend a moment with her.

Her eyes held a promise, a promise of hope. But mine held the opposite. I knew this moment of placidness was temporary. She would leave like always.

"I wish you had never left." I whispered, my tears would roll down as I blink, as the reality dawned on me that it's a mere dream.

"I had to." Her voice, that beautiful familiar voice, reached my ears and the once shining eyes before me saddened.

"Don't leave me again. Please." I pleaded, placing my hands on hers. "Please mama."

She shook her head and I hiccuped, knowing what would follow next. Her departure.

A cold gust of wind came, coiling around us and I could see her disappear. I saw that white dress in front me vanish. I felt the warmth of her hold on my face fade away. I couldn't control my tears. Her last words, before she whirled away fully, made me drown.

"I want you to live, Riya."

I woke up as someone shook me. Her voice was still ringing inside my head as if she had just whispered it in my ears. I could still feel those warm eyes staring at me. Dream could feel this real, I never knew.

My shoulder was shaken again and I opened my eyes completely to adjust to my surroundings. I was in my grandmother's room on the mattress beside her bed.