Start of Something

The second Matt called cut, Joe walked off set. He walked to his trailer, grabbing a sandwich off the lunch table as he walked by it. As he ate, his mind wandered to Holly. His thoughts have been wandering to her a lot lately.

He thought it was crazy that he had lived next to Holly for two years and knew nothing about her. He couldn't help but wish that he had gotten to know her sooner.

Joe was brought out of his thoughts when his phone started ringing. He smiled when Holly's name showed up on his caller ID.

"Hey, Holly."

"Hi, Joe." Her voice made his whole body relax. The only part that didn't was his heart.

"How's your day going?"

"It's okay," she said softly. "I didn't really do anything. I mean, I signed up for my next semester of classes today."

"Classes? That's great," Joe chucked.

"I guess," Holly mumbled. "The class are all online. I thought it was time for me to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life, but I wasn't ready to go back. . . physically."

"I'm gonna sound like a broken record but that's great, Holly."

"I don't know what to do," she sighed. "All I've ever wanted to do was fly planes and now. . . Now I have no idea what I want to do with my life."

"That's okay," he reassured. "You're taking the right step towards figuring it out."

Joe paused before adding, "And if you want any help or anyone to bounce off ideas, I'm right next door."

"That's true," Holly giggled. She cleared her throat before asking, "You'd really be willing to listen to me rant and stutter through life choices?"

"Of course, I would," Joe said instantly.

"I don't understand," she mumbled so softly Joe almost missed it.

"What don't you understand?" Joe asked tentatively.

"Why you would be willing to help me."

"Holly," Joe chuckled, "I know we're just neighbors but I think you're great and I'd like to get to know you better. I spent two years not knowing who you were. I want to change that."

"Really?"

"Really."

"I want to get to know you better too."

The two were silent for a beat before Holly gathered the courage to speak up.

"I just ordered a pizza," she hesitated. "But a small pizza is too big for one person."

Joe smiled as he waited for her to continue. When she didn't, he gently said, "Holly, would you like some help finishing that pizza?"

"If you want," she stuttered. "I don't want you to feel like you have to come over. I could always put the leftovers in the fridge and save them for later. I just thought about how depressing eating alone can be and figured that since you're alone too maybe you'd like to join me."

"Holly?"

"Yes?"

"We just finished up," Joe chuckled. "I'm gonna change back into my normal clothes and I'll be on my way."

* * * * *

Joe knocked on Holly's door, suddenly nervous. He couldn't remember the last time he was nervous to hang out with a girl. When she opened the door, his smile was automatic.

"You're right on time," she greeted him. "The pizza just got here."

"Perfect," Joe smiled. "I'm starving."

"Good because I got a medium."

"What happened to a small?" Joe teased as he followed her into the kitchen.

"It was cheaper," she shrugged.

"Are you having money trouble?"

Joe cringed as soon as he said it. He was about to apologize and change the subject but Holly laughed.

"Are you kidding? The only good thing about my accident was the Army was so nervous I'd sue them, they gave me a great retirement plan."

Even though she was joking, Joe picked up on her small inkling of pain. He tried not to ask the burning question but as he watched her get out plates and put a piece on both for them, he couldn't help himself.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course," Holly shrugged. He followed her to the table and sat across from her.

"I really hope this doesn't come across as weird," Joe sighed.

"Joe," she chuckled, "I trust you so, tell me."

"Are you talking to someone about your PTSD?"

Joe instantly felt guilty and wished he could take it back when Holly froze. "I'm sorry," he quickly apologized. "That was way out of line. I shouldn't have asked that. I'm sorry, Holly."

"It's okay," Holly said, her whole demeanor changing. "And to answer your question, no. I haven't talked to anyone. I mean. . . After it happened, they tried to get me to talk to someone about it. I was basically mute for the first six months after my accident. Then when I started talking to the Army therapist, it was in short sentences. The first real conversation I had with her was telling her I wanted a change and to go as far away from that life as I could."

"Have you thought about talking to someone again?" Joe held his breath, still worried about pushing Holly too far.

"I just. . . I don't know if it'll help. I mean, what are they going to say to me that every other person I've come across hasn't already said to me?"

"It still might help," he mumbled. He sighed before adding, "I'm sorry. I don't want to force you to talk to someone about all of this it's just. . . You've had nightmares and multiple panic attacks. I'm worried about you, Holly, and the worst part is I don't know how to help you."

"What do you mean you don't know how to help?" Holly asked. She reached across the table and grabbed his hand. "Joe, you've done nothing but help me these past few weeks. You literally broke down my door on the Fourth of July to help me. You've stayed the night so I wasn't alone. You've come running whenever I called. I know that if anything happens or if I need anything I can call you."

Joe smiled when Holly's eyes widened and she quickly let go of his hand. She cleared her throat before adding, "I mean if that's okay with you."

"Of course it's okay," he chuckled. "I actually prefer that you call me."