A Change

Holly woke up to the feeling of someone's arm lazily wrapped around her waist. She looked over her shoulder, her whole face burning when she saw Joe asleep next to her.

Before she could start to overthink what happened last night, she felt Joe tighten his arm around her waist. She chewed on her bottom lip, reminding herself to breathe as she felt him slowly wake up.

She gasped when Joe leaned down and kissed her shoulder. It wasn't just one. It was multiple. As he explored her exposed skin, she closed her eyes and focused on the feeling he gave her. She gasped, turning into a giggle when he sat up and started kissing her neck.

"Morning, beautiful," he said softly, his voice giving her chills.

"Morning," she said shakily. He nibbled on her earlobe, smirking when he felt her breath get caught in her throat.

"Stay here," he whispered into her ear.

"Where are you going?" She asked as he started getting out of bed. She sat up and instantly covered her chest with the blanket. Her face burned and she quickly looked away as he stood up.

"I was taught that there was a specific thing I should do after I spend the night with a woman," Joe explained. Holly finally looked at him as he finished pulling up his boxers.

"What was it?" She asked, readjusting the blanket.

He put his hands on the mattress and leaned in, pressing his lips gently to hers. He pulled away, pausing when he was a few inches away from her.

"Make the girl breakfast."

Holly smiled, her face burning. Joe chuckled as he reached up and gently pulled her bottom lip out from between her teeth.

"Don't worry," he whispered, leaving his hand on her chin. "I'll be back. I promise."

"I believe you," Holly said, her voice barely audible. Joe smiled as he leaned in and pressed another kiss to her lips.

She let out a shaky breath as Joe walked out of the room. She slowly got out of bed, her legs still a little wobbly. As she got dressed, she slowly started to smell what Joe was cooking.

When she was done slipping into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, she walked down the hall and toward a kitchen. She stopped in the doorway, smiling when she saw Joe plating the pancakes.

"Smells good," she said softly. Joe turned around and instantly smiled when he saw her.

"Hopefully it tastes as good," he joked. "No promises though."

They sat down across from each other and ate breakfast. They didn't talk, just ate. When they were finished, Holly stood up and grabbed their plates. She chuckled when Joe started helping her do the dishes.

"You don't have to," she said, looking up at him. "You cooked. Isn't there a rule that one cooks, the other cleans?"

"I don't follow every rule like that," he chuckled.

"Only certain ones?"

Joe closed the gap between them, grabbed her waist, and pulled her closer.

"Only certain ones," he repeated, his voice dropping.

He leaned down and pressed his lips to hers. Holly instantly wrapped her arms loosely around his neck and started kissing him back. The insecurities that Holly should've felt last night hit her. Hard.

Holly broke the kiss, unwrapped her arms from around him, and looked down at her feet. Joe's stomach turned sour when he noticed Holly pulling away. He grabbed her hands, knowing he had to pull her back. And fast.

"Holly?" He whispered. "What's wrong, gorgeous?"

"Joe," she said shakily. "I can't. . . We can't. . ."

"What?" He gently pushed when she didn't continue. "Talk to me, Holly. Please."

"You deserve better."

Joe's stomach dropped. He knew what she was thinking.

"Holly, listen to me," he whispered.

She tried to pull her hands out of Joe's grasp but he shook his head and tightened his hold.

"You don't deserve a girl who jumps at any loud sound," she said, her eyes filling with tears and a sob getting stuck in her throat. "You deserve someone normal and someone who can handle parties. I'm not her."

"But you're the girl for me," he said instantly. "Holly, I care about you."

"But I'm messed up," she said, her voice getting caught in her throat.

"No, you're not," Joe said, shaking his head. "You're working through some things. That's different. Just because someone is working through things, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with her. If a guy can't handle it, if he doesn't stand by her side, he isn't worthy of her."

"Joe, be realistic," Holly sighed. "I mean, think about it. A few weeks ago, I was in the hospital because I couldn't handle it. I'm weak."

"You are not weak," Joe said, trying to remain calm. "You're trying to repair what was broken because of the accident. That's not weak, Holly. That's incredibly strong."

"I don't feel it," Holly mumbled.

"You are," he tried to reassure her.

"You deserve someone normal," she whispered. Joe smiled as he reached up and gently cupped her face in his hand.

"What about you?" Joe asked softly. "What do you deserve?"

"I don't know what you mean," she said slowly, her voice getting caught in her throat.

"What do you deserve Holly?" Joe stepped closer to her, loosening his grip on her hands. He smiled and decided to answer his question for her. "You deserve someone who will do everything in his power to help you heal. You deserve someone who will do whatever it takes to help you feel safe. I can do that, you know? I can help you feel safe, Holly."

"But you deserve. . ."

"You," Joe cut her off. "I deserve you."