Take A Break

After the disastrous afternoon, Holly was drained. The couple stayed in the tub for a while. Neither one of them knew how long and neither one of them cared. Holly was trying to keep herself from diving into a deep pit of depression. Joe was trying to make sure Holly knew he was there for her.

Eventually, Holly started to fall asleep laying in the tub with Joe's arms wrapped around her. Joe noticed she was falling asleep and instantly picked her up.

He carefully climbed out of the tub with Holly in his arms. He carried her into her room and laid her down. He tucked her in and started to walk away. She quickly grabbed his hand, pulling him back.

"Please stay," she mumbled sleepily.

"Of course," Joe whispered. He kicked off his shoes and laid next to her. He smiled as she instantly snuggled into his chest.

Joe felt Holly's breathing slow as she fell asleep. He looked down at her and watched as she fell deeper and deeper into her rem cycle. As he watched her, he couldn't believe he once lived without her. He fell asleep with the overwhelming feeling of not wanting to let her go.

Ever.

Joe woke up to an empty bed. He sat up, still a little hazy. It took him a second before he remembered he was in Holly's apartment. He got out of her bed and fixed his shirt as he left her room.

"Holly? Baby, where are. . ."

He stopped talking when he heard the tv. He walked into the other room and saw Holly sitting on the couch with her arms wrapped around herself. Joe's heart sank into his stomach when he realized what they were talking about on the tv.

"Joe's new girlfriend completely shuts down after. . ."

Holly jumped when the tv was shut off. She looked over her shoulder to see Joe standing behind her holding the remote.

"Hi," she stuttered.

"Sweetheart, what are you watching?"

"When I was cornered. . . It's all over. . . Everything."

Joe quickly jumped over Holly's couch and sat next to her. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into his chest.

"I'm sorry, baby," he sighed. "You just gotta ignore the tabloids. They take good, innocent things and try and twist them. They try to take a beautiful young woman and show her and the world that she's not good enough for the actor she's dating, but she is. She's incredible and she is everything her actor needs in order to be happy."

"Joe," she sighed.

"I know it's a lot, baby, but. . ."

"Maybe we should take a break," Holly cut him off.

"What?" Joe gasped, his heart sinking into his stomach.

"I don't. . . I can't. . . I don't know if I can do this."

"Holly," Joe whispered. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm not good enough for you, Joe. And as much as I try, I'll never be used to your world, the actor's world. I can't do this, baby. I'm sorry."

Holly stood up and started to walk back to her room. Joe jumped up and quickly ran after her. He ran around and stood in front of her.

"Listen to me, Holly, please," Joe pleaded as he grabbed her shoulders. "I'm crazy about you and nothing, nothing, is going to make me change my mind. I want to be with you."

"But I'm messed up," Holly said, her voice breaking.

"We've talked about this, Holly. You are not messed up," Joe said as sincerely as he could. "You have crap in your closet. We all do, babe. It doesn't matter. What matters is having someone in your life who understands and helps you. I can do that for you, Holly. Please, let me."

"But what are people going to think?" She asked, her voice breaking. "Joe Keery's girlfriend has PTSD that completely makes her shut down. You deserve better. People are gonna think. . ."

"I don't care what other people think, Holly," he sighed. "I care what you think. I care how you feel. I care what you do. I care about everything that involves you. It's my job to care about you and I do. I care about you, Holly. A lot."

"But. . ."

"But nothing, Holly," he whispered, reaching up and cupping her face in his hand. "Baby, please. No more buts. No more hesitation. No more worries. I'm in this."

"Are you sure?"

Joe leaned down and pressed his lips delicately to hers. He let out a sigh of relief when he felt her smile into the kiss. He broke the kiss and pressed his forehead to hers. He tightened his arms around her, keeping her close.

"I'm sure."