Home Sweet Home

A couple of hours later, Joe and Holly were laying on her hospital bed, watching some random tv show. They could change the channel but didn't know where the remote was and were too comfortable to find it.

"Excuse me?" A soft voice came from the other side of the door. The two looked up as a woman walked in. She smiled sweetly at the two, making them shift a little uncomfortably.

"Sorry to interrupt, you two," she smiled, "but I need to talk to Ms. Richards. He can stay if you want but I need to ask you about your overdose."

Joe looked down at Holly still in his arms. She suddenly looked smaller in his arms.

"I'm gonna go get a coffee," Joe whispered. "How about I get you one?"

"Thank you," Holly mumbled. They sat up, Joe slowly getting out of the bed. He was about to leave but stopped. He leaned in and pressed a soft kiss to her forehead.

"I'll be right back."

* * * * *

Joe wanted to run back up to Holly's room and wrap her in his arms but knew he shouldn't interrupt. When he figured he had given them enough time, he slowly made his way back to Holly's room. He gently knocked as he held his breath.

"Come in," Holly called out. When Joe walked in, he saw her packing her clothes into a small bag.

"Everything okay?" He asked, struggling not to panic.

"Yeah," Holly said with a small giggle. "It's great, actually. They're sending me home."

"That's great," Joe said, not noticing how relieved he sounded. Holly noticed. She looked over her shoulder at him and smiled.

"Would you mind taking me home?" She asked.

"I'd be happy to," he said instantly. He hesitated before adding, "I could stay with you if you'd like."

"There's no need," Holly shrugged as she zipped up her bag. She turned around, her heart sinking when she saw the look on Joe's face.

"Hey," she whispered to get his attention, "I really appreciate that you came all the way here and stayed with me. It was nice to wake up and not be alone."

"I'm glad I could help," Joe said, a small smile forming.

"And you're going to help me even more by taking me home."

"It's not like it's out of the way," Joe chuckled.

Holly started walking out of the room, passing Joe, but he stopped her by grabbing her bag.

"What are you doing?" She laughed.

"I'm taking your bag," Joe said like it was obvious. "It's not a big thing."

"It is to me," she mumbled as she followed him.

They were quiet during the car ride home. Music softly played in the background as they drove. Joe found himself continually glancing over at Holly. She seemed like she was fine, but Joe could tell that she was acting like it.

He wanted to try and convince her to let him stay with her, but he didn't want to push her. He parked the car and they headed inside, Joe still holding her bag.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay?"

"I think I'll be okay," Holly chuckled as she unlocked her apartment. Joe followed her inside, eagerly at her heels.

"Are you sure?" He stuttered.

"Joe," she chuckled as she turned toward him, "I've been on my own for a long time. I'm going to be okay."

"I know," he sighed. "I just can't help but feel a little guilty leaving you. Maybe I should stay here tonight. I can sleep on the couch, just in case you have a nightmare. Your night terrors! What if you go into one of your night terrors?"

Holly sighed as she closed the gap between them, gently grabbing his hand. She smiled as she led him into her room.

"To show you I mean it when I say I'll be fine," Holly said as she walked into her bathroom. Joe hesitated before slowly following her. When he got to the doorway, he saw Holly pulling a pill bottle from her medicine cabinet.

"Is that. . ."

Joe didn't finish his question. He didn't need to. He watched as she walked to the bathroom sink. She turned on the faucet and opened the bottle. She didn't hesitate to dump the pills down the sink. She turned off the water and tossed the now-empty pill bottle in the trash.

"See? I'm going to be fine."

Holly's breath got caught in her throat when Joe stepped towards her, closing the gap. He grabbed her hands and dropped his voice.

"I'll go but only if you promise me something," he whispered.

"Okay," Holly whispered.

"Promise me that if you ever start to have those thoughts or start to feel like you aren't important or you struggle in any way, you'll call me. I mean it, Holly. Promise that you'll call me."

"I promise," Holly said, her voice barely coming out.

Joe finally realized how close they were. His eyes drifted down to her lips, wanting nothing more than to feel her lips on his. He cleared his throat, forcing himself to look away. He let go of her hands and shoved his hands in his pockets.

"Thank you," Holly whispered as she wrapped her arms around herself. "It really meant a lot that you were here for me, Joe."

"I'd always be here for you, Holly."

* * * * *

As soon as Joe walked into his apartment, his phone started ringing. He smiled when he saw the caller ID.

"Did you change your mind?" He asked Holly as he answered his phone.

"Would you judge me if I did?"

"Of course not," Joe laughed. "I'll be right over."