On Her Own

Joe couldn't stop the smile from spreading across his face when he saw Holly calling him.

"Guess what!" Holly giggled the minute Joe answered.

"What?" He chuckled.

"I just got back home."

"Back?"

"Yep!" She said, unable to control her excitement. "I was able to go to the grocery store all by myself! And!! I didn't wear my big noise-canceling headphones. I still wore headphones, just not my big ones."

"That's great!" Joe laughed.

Just then, Joe's new cast member Joseph Quinn walked by. He gave Joe a teasing look that Joe ignored. It may seem silly to others but he was genuinely proud of her. And he wanted her to know that. Before he could tell her, she sighed.

"I know it's not that big of a deal," Holly said, her tone of voice changing.

"Hey," Joe soothed. "It is a big deal."

"It's kinda stupid," she laughed harshly. "A grown woman excited that she went grocery shopping by herself."

"It's not stupid," Joes said quickly. "It's an accomplishment."

"People our age go to the store every day with no problem," she said. "This isn't worth a big celebration."

"Yes, it is," Joe tried to reassure her. "Any type of accomplishment, no matter how big or small, is worth celebrating."

"But. . ."

"I'm really proud of you, Holly."

"Thanks," Holly said, her face burning. She didn't think she'd ever be the kind of person to care so much about one person's opinion.

"How's work?" Holly asked, changing the subject.

"It's good," Joe chuckled. "I kinda wish I was home."

"Really? How come?"

Joe cleared his throat, not wanting to tell her the real reason. It was almost too embarrassing.

"I'd just rather be at home," he quickly said. He smirked as he added, "And besides, my neighbor needs me."

"Yes, she does," Holly blurted. She cleared her throat when she realized what she said, "So, how's filming?"

"Same old, same old," Joe said, trying to hide his chuckle. "Although I have so much dirt and fake blood on me that I'm extremely uncomfortable."

"I'm sorry," she said sincerely. "How much longer do you have?"

"Not too much longer," he shrugged. "About an hour or two. Shouldn't be too bad. Now that you've gone on a big adventure to the store, what do you plan to do for the rest of the day?"

"Take a nap," Holly said instantly, making Joe laugh. "Going to the store is exhausting. Especially when you haven't gone in five years. . . Give or take a few weeks."

"Sounds like a good plan," Joe chuckled. "I wish I could take a nap right now."

The two fell into a comfortable silence. Joe thought about how badly he wanted to see Holly.

"Would you like to go to lunch tomorrow?" He blurted before he could think about how today was the first day in five years that Holly ever left her apartment by herself.

"I could pick you up. . ." Joe stuttered.

"Or I could meet you on set," Holly said unsure of herself.

"Are you sure?" Joe asked gently.

"I want to get more comfortable going out on my own," she said nervously. She blush as she added, "Plus, it'll be easier when I know I'll be with you."

* * * * *

"So?" Joseph asked in a sing-songy voice.

"So?" Joe mocked him. He looked at Joseph, glaring when he saw his smirk. "Why are you being an ass?"

"Who were you talking to?"

"What do you mean?"

"Who were you talking to when you couldn't stop smiling?"

"Oh," Joe said, clearing his throat. "I was talking to my neighbor, Holly."

"I've heard about her," Joseph chuckled.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Joe instantly asked.

"Calm down," Joseph rolled his eyes. "Natalia and Maya were talking about her. They told me that she was medically discharged from the Army after a plane accident. She sounds pretty badass."

"She is," Joe said. He looked up, his face burning when he saw Joseph smirking at him.

"What?" Joe sighed.

"You have a crush on her."

He only said it normally once. After that, he started singing it as he ran circles around Joe.

"What is he going on about?" Maya asked as she walked over to him.

"I was talking to Holly," Joe started to explain.

"Oh!" Maya laughed loudly.

"What's the big deal?" Joe sighed.

"Nothing," Maya shrugged. "Except that he's right. You totally have a crush on Holly."

"So?" Joe asked, looking away. "Who cares if I have a tiny crush on my neighbor? I don't get why it's any of your. . ."

"Joe," she gently cut him off. "I think it's great that you have a crush on your neighbor. Holly sounds wonderful."