Definitely Too Big

The decision wasn't easy. Holly wanted to hang out with Joe and be involved in his life, but a party was a big step up from going to the grocery store by herself. She thought about it all night. As she got ready for bed, she started a mental pros and cons list. There were definitely a lot of cons but there was at least one pro that might make it worth it—Joe.

Before she could talk herself out of it, she grabbed her phone and called Joe. She needed to hear his voice to ensure her she was making the right choice.

"Hey, you."

Holly loved how he answered the phone.

"Everything okay?" He asked.

"Yeah," she said, trying to calm her beating heart. "I just wanted to give you my answer."

"Oh?"

Holly's heart skipped a beat when she heard the hope in his voice.

"I'm in."

"That's great!" He laughed. "It's going to be so much fun. And if it isn't, we could always leave early."

"Joe," she gently cut him off. She smiled when he instantly stopped talking. "I'm in, but I need you to promise me something."

"Anything," he ensured.

"Promise," she hesitated, "promise that you won't leave me. I'm not going to know anyone, really, other than you. And I'm still not a hundred percent confident in myself that I can do this. I mean, the last big event I went to was the funeral for William and even then I got overwhelmed. But I think I'll be okay as long as I know you're right there."

"I will be," Joe said as seriously as he could. He knew how big of a jump this was for her and it meant the world to him that she had agreed to come with him. He was going to be by her side regardless.

"I promise, Holly, I'll never leave your side."

* * * * *

Holly checked her reflection, unable to decide if she liked how she looked. She couldn't remember the last time she wore a dress. She sighed as she turned away from her reflection and put her bag together. It's been a long time since Holly left her apartment, worrying about what she looked like. She couldn't help but wonder: was it the party making her this nervous, or was it Joe?

She jumped when she heard a knock on the front door. She quickly finished throwing everything into her bag and went to answer the door. She couldn't stop the smile that spread across her face when she opened it to Joe. She blushed as he looked her over.

"Wow," he said under his breath. He cleared his throat before adding, "You look beautiful, Holly."

"Thanks," she said, trying to ignore how relieved she felt. "We ready to go?"

"After you, m'lady," Joe said, stepping aside for her. He smiled when Holly laughed.

The two rode the elevator down to the parking garage in silence. Holly couldn't settle her nerves and Joe could tell. He finally reached over and grabbed her hand as they exited the elevator.

"If this gets too much for you, please tell me," he said gently. "I don't want you thinking I'm going to get offended because you need to leave. I know this is a big jump and I hate that I'm forcing you to make it."

"You're not forcing me, Joe," Holly said quickly. "You're encouraging me."

Joe opened the car door for her and turned towards her. "I promise I will be right by your side all night."

Holly tried to ignore the butterflies in her stomach as she grabbed Joe's hand. The second her hand was in his, he gripped it tightly. He gently helped her out of the car, never letting go of her hand.

As they walked in, Holly's legs felt like jello. The closer they got to the door, the tighter she held onto his hand. He didn't mind. He liked feeling her depend on him. There were about to walk in, but Holly stopped.

Joe took a step closer to her and leaned in. "I'll be right next to you the whole time," he whispered. "I promise."

Holly took a shaky breath before nodding. Joe squeezed her hand reassuringly. Together, they walked into the convention hall. They were greeted by music and a lot of people talking.

Joe glanced over at Holly to see her taking in everything. He noticed that since they arrived, her breathing has been uneven. He instantly felt guilty that he was causing her to react this way. He was about to open his mouth and suggest that they go back home, but Gaten came running up to him.

Holly let out an involuntary gasp when Joe had to let go of her hand and catch Gaten as he basically jumped on him.

"Joey!" Gaten laughed.

"Hey, man," Joe laughed. He glanced over at Holly, his heart sinking when he saw her wrapping her arms around herself.

"This must be the beautiful Holly," Gaten said, turning toward Holly.

"Holly, this is Gaten," Joe introduced. "He plays Dustin."

"It's nice to meet you," she said, her voice slightly shaking. Joe took a step closer to her, gently wrapping his arm around her waist.

"Well," Gaten said, getting the hint, "you two enjoy yourselves. Joe, keep an eye on her."

"Excuse me?" Holly whispered.

"If he doesn't," Gaten clarified, "someone is going to steal you."

"I sure hope not," Joe laughed. He glanced over at Holly to see her cheeks beginning to turn pink.

The rest of the night, Joe remained by her side as they talked to and mingled with his castmates. The more people he introduced her to, the more worried Joe got. The more people Holly met, the more her anxiety built. Soon, it got too much.

"I can't. . . I can't do this," Holly stuttered.

"Okay," Joe jumped. "Let's go then. We could go get dinner or rent a movie. It's really up to. . ."

"I can't do this."

Before Joe could stop her, Holly ran out of the room. He instantly chased after her. He ran out of the building before he finally saw her turning right. He sped up, trying to close the gap sooner.

His heart jumped into his throat when Holly started to cross the street. He pushed himself as fast as he could go, faster when he saw the car speeding towards her.

"Holly!" Joe yelled.

He didn't hesitate to run into the street after Holly. He grabbed her, knocking both of them out of the street. He looked down at Holly tucked into his chest. He tightened his arms around her, relaxing onto the grass.

"Are you okay?" He whispered.

"I'm sorry," she sobbed. "I just. . . There were so many people and they. . . They all. . . I didn't want to disappoint you."

"Hey," he soothed as he tightened his arms around her. "You didn't disappoint me, Holly. You could never disappoint me. I'm sorry I pushed you to come."

"You didn't force me," Holly said, finally calming down. She looked up, her breath getting stuck in her throat when she saw Joe still holding her close to his chest.

"Joe?" Holly whispered shakily. He hummed in response, subconsciously tightening his arms around her.

"Do you need to stay?"

"Of course not," Joe said with no hesitation. He sat up, slowly pulling Holly with him. She was a little shaky but Joe instantly caught her.

"Let's get you home."