Introduction to His World

Holly woke up with Joe next to her. She looked at him for a little bit before quietly getting out of bed. She laughed when she felt him wrap his arms around her waist, pulling her back into his chest.

"Where do you think you're going?" Joe laughed his voice still deep with a little sleep.

"I was going to go make us some breakfast." Holly shrugged as she let him keep her captive.

"Do that later," he mumbled as he nestled his face into Holly's neck. The two sat in silence for a while, simply enjoying their company.

"I'm sorry," Holly whispered.

"Sorry for what, baby?" Joe asked as he dragged his fingers up and down her arm.

"I'm sorry I tried to break up with you," she said as she sat up. She delicately placed her hand over his heart, struggling to look him in the eyes. "I really care about you, Joe. I just got a little scared. I'm not used to. . . Even before the accident. . ."

Joe reached over and gently grabbed her chin, making her look up at him. "What do you mean?" He asked gently, not with an ounce of anger.

"I've never been good at making friends," Holly confessed. "I was an only child, Joe. My grandparents raised me after my parents died in a car crash when I was five. My grandpa died when I was 16 and my grandma passed two years later. I didn't have friends in college and when I got into flight school, I only had one friend. And even he eventually. . ."

"Holly," Joe said softly. His heart sank when he realized she was talking about William. His heart sank even lower when he realized what all those people had in common. Holly's eyes filled with tears but she pushed them down.

"Everyone in my life has. . ."

Joe sat up, sitting Holly up with him. He gently cupped her cheek in his hand, rubbing his thumb across her jawline.

"I'm not going anywhere."

"But. . ."

"Holly," he cut her off, "I mean it. Okay? I care way too much about you to walk away."

"What if something happens to you?" Holly asked, the question getting stuck in her throat. Joe grabbed her other cheek and gently pressed his lips to hers. He broke the kiss and leaned his forehead against hers.

"I'm not going anywhere," he whispered. "I promise."

* * * * *

"I don't know if I can do this," Holly whispered, her breath getting caught in her throat.

"I'm sorry," Joe sighed. "I told my manager this wasn't a good idea."

"I still don't really understand why Andy wants me to do an interview with you. I mean. . . You're an actor. I'm just a retired pilot."

"You're my girlfriend," he shrugged, trying to lighten the mood. "They want to get to know you."

"What if they don't like me?" Holly asked, focusing on her feet.

Joe instantly reached forward and lifted her chin. "Remember," he whispered, "I like you. That's what matters."

"But your fans. . ."

"Aren't as important to me as you are."

Joe leaned down and gently pressed his lips to hers. Holly let out a small moan as she started to kiss him back. They broke the kiss when someone cleared their throat.

"Sorry to interrupt," the PA said, clearing her throat, "but we're ready for you guys."

Holly sucked in a scared breath, her hands starting to shake. Joe instantly saw her starting to spiral so he brought her closer to his chest.