Chapter Five: Halloween Day

It was Halloween, Ava's favorite time of the year to celebrate. It was her favorite because she could be whatever she wanted, without getting judged or made fun of.

She was originally planning on being Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz, but she's second guessing her costume because when she looked in the mirror, she thought she looked bad.

"Steve!" Ava yelled from her room, "Come here, i need you!"

Steve walked upstairs, and looked in Ava's room. "Are you seriously being Dorothy?" He questions, wishing she picked something cooler.

"Yeah, why not?" She asks, "But i have a serious question for you." She says, tightening the costume around her waist, "Does this costume make me look fat?" She asks.

Steve scoffed at the fact she even thought that. "Even if it did, which it does not, why would it matter?" He says, fixing her hair a bit, "You look beautiful either way, Ava, no doubt about that, right?" He asks, hoping Ava understands her worth.

"I guess so, it's just i was planning on wearing it to school today." She says. Steve looks at her as if she was a psychopath.

"There's no way you're wearing that to school." He says in a firm tone, "You'll just get embarrassed, no one else will be wearing costumes. And it shows a bit too much skin for my liking, but whatever." He finishes, lightly patting her shoulders.

"Yeah you're probably right." She says, "Can you get out so i can change into normal school clothes?" She asks. Steve just nods, and shuts the door on his way out.

~~~

She was riding her bike to her bus stop, in normal clothing. She knew to expect Mike yelling at her for not wearing a costume.

When she gets there, the boys immediately stare at her clothes. A black hoodie, and ripped jeans. "What?" She mumbled, knowing exactly why they were staring.

"What the hell, Ava." Mike says, clearly annoyed.

You know what Mike, i cant go a single day without
hearing your shitty voice, and it's driving me crazy, so right now it would be nice if you just shut the hell up. Ava thought, wishing she could say it out loud.

"Where's your costume?" Will says, looking at Ava as if he already knew the answer. "I didn't want to wear it to school." She replies with, crossing her arms.

"Well you're lucky that you missed out on Mike and Lucas arguing about their dumb costumes." Dustin says, an annoyed tone in his voice.

"Dumb costumes? You're wearing the same thing Dust." Ava says, holding back a giggle. Dustin looks down at his costume and looks back at Ava with a wide smile, thinking about how funny it is he didn't even realize that.

Ava loves Dustin's smile, mainly because of how cute his face turned when he smiled, and the fact he had no teeth. People made fun of him for it, but she found it adorable.

"Of course we argued, Lucas wasn't supposed to be that!" Mike says. "It doesn't matter anymore Mike, don't make this into another argument." Lucas says, trying to be the bigger person, but it was obvious he wanted to shout at Mike.

The group biked to school and when they were putting their bikes on the rack, a familiar redhead decided to walk over to them.