Chapter Thirty-Two: I love you

The two girls walk back hastily to Steve's car, Max staring at Ava out of worry for the girl. Ava explained that she was cursed, making Max want to tell everyone, but Ava convinced her not to. She didn't want to be a burden, especially when Max needed more help.

"Hey, that was longer than twenty seconds." Steve says, making Ava roll her eyes. "Hey, woah, are you alright?" Steve asks to the two girls. "We're fine, just drive." Max responds for them both, opening the car door for Ava, who gets in first, Max following shortly after.

"Did something happen?" Dustin asks, "Can we please just go?" Max asks, her voice breaking slightly. Steve does as told and begins driving off. Further into the drive, it was obvious everyone was staring at both of the girls. "Turn here." Max says, breaking the silence.

"Here?" Dustin asks, earning a nod from Max. They turn into Roane Hill Cemetery, and as soon as they get there, Max steps out of the vehicle. "Woah, what're you doing?" Ava asks out of worry, stepping out of the car, making the redhead turn around. "Ava, please, just wait in the car." Max says, walking back up the hill.

"Max, just wait, please." Ava practically begs the girl, running after her. "Ava-" Max says before getting cut off, "Just listen to me. Please." Ava says, looking into Max's eyes. "That thing that i saw happen back there with your mother, it was Vecna, wasn't it?" Ava asks,  just hoping for a better answer even though she saw it too.

"We both know it was. But it's fine, i'm fine." Max reassures, trying to calm the other girl down. "Okay?" Max says with a fake smile, Ava knowing what her real one is like. "I mean, as fine as someone who's hurtling towards a gruesome death can be." Max adds, making Ava scoff. "Max.. you know you can talk to me." Ava says, not breaking eye contact with the redhead.

"Right?" She adds, her voice breaking slightly. "Yeah, i know that." Max says, "Okay, then why do you keep pushing me away? Pushing all of us away?" Ava asks, pulling out her letter. "Okay, look. I don't need a letter. I don't want a letter." Ava says, "Just talk to me. To your friends." She continues, pointing at Steve, Dustin, and Lucas in the distance.

"We're right here." Ava says, looking at Max, the two making eye contact. "I'm right here." She says sadly, feeling as though what Vecna said in her trance was right, and that Max never loved her, never cared for her. "Okay?" Ava says, pushing what Vecna told her down to comfort Max, even though she wanted to breakdown into tears.

"I'm here." Ava repeats sadly, her voice breaking a bit. "And i always will be. You just don't seem to understand that." Ava adds, not looking away from Max once. "Just.. wait in the car. This won't be long, okay?" Max says, wanting to get away from this moment. Ava watches Max walk away from her, wondering if the redhead even understood anything Ava said. One thought that couldn't evade her mind, was if everything Vecna said in her trance. Was it all true?

Ava sighs and walks back to Steve's car, a single tear drop falling from her face, but it was quickly wiped off. She didn't get inside the vehicle though, she leaned on it, staring at where Max once was. How could she just walk away so easily? As if.. Ava just wasn't even there. 'Did she ever care? Did she ever love me? Does.. does she love me?' Were the only thoughts in Ava's mind, the only questions she wanted to ask.

She hoped she still had time to ask them once this was all over.

"Is everything okay, Ava?" Steve asks, rolling down his window to see the girl. Ava quickly wiped away her tears, replacing them with a bright smile. "Yeah, why wouldn't it be?" She quickly responds, pushing down her feelings, trying to keep positivity for everyone else. Steve nods slowly, and rolls the window back up. She hoped that her smile would remain there, for the sake of everyone else.