Chapter Fourty: Preperation

They continue driving, Max managing to get back up to the couch in the RV, but Ava still holding onto Robin's foot. "Shit, they look pissed!" Dustin says, "It's not everyday you lose your house and car in one fell swoop." Robin says. "Hold on! Hold on!" Steve shouts, turning the RV quickly, hitting a few trashcans along with it.

"Oh shit!" Ava says, accidentally letting go of Robin's foot, and rolling down the other side of the RV. "Robin, help me!" Ava shouts, trying to grab on to a seat. "I'm coming, my child!" Robin says, trying to switch to an empty seat that was closer to Ava but then falling because of Steve's horrific driving. "Shit, Steve, learn to drive!" Robin says, rolling alongside Ava, both telling everyone to help them.

"Okay, hold on!" Steve says again, both Robin and Ava looking at each other helplessly. "We're so fucked." Ava mutters, "I totally agree." Robin nods. Steve turns to the left quickly, both girls rolling to the right, then Ava grabs Max's foot. "Ava, let go!" Max says, trying to pry the girls hand off. "Help me right now!" Ava says, pulling on Max's foot.

Max sighs and helps Ava up, the two sitting on the couch. "Wow, as much as i love seeing two lovebirds flock," Robin says, sighing dramatically, "Will one of you help me too?" Robin asks, moving her arms around to emphasize her words. "Duty calls." Ava says, reaching her arm out for Robin to take, but then Max pushes Ava lightly, making the girl roll on the floor again.

~~~

An hour or two later, Robin and Ava finally managed to find a seat, and not rolling on the ground any longer. Ava saw Steve and Nancy talk, and she notices the awkwardness, making her cringe slightly. "Hey." Ava says to Max, making her take down her headphones. "I'll never forgive you for pushing me on the floor, just to be clear." Ava says, making Max smile and nod.

"But, i've been thinking.. two of the three of Vecna's victims were seeing Ms. Kelley, right?" Ava asks, "Yeah." Max says. "Okay, so i figure there's a good chance Vecna cursed another one of her students." Ava says, "We go back to her office, we read all of her files, look for mentions of headaches, nosebleeds, nightmares." Ava says, "Ava." Max says.

"We can identify his most likely next victim and figure out who it most certainly will be," Ava says, "Ava." Max repeats, sighing. "We stake out his house, and then—" Ava goes on, "Ava, stop." Max says firmly, making the other girl stop. "We don't have time for any of that, okay?" Max says, "And even if we did, even if your plan did work, we'd be putting a total stranger at risk." Max says.

"A stranger who has no idea what they're up against." She adds, "I do." Max says. "Oh, no, we aren't talking about you risking yourself again, are we?" Ava says, "Cause i already told you i'd be doing it." She adds. "It's not up for grabs, alright? He's already almost gotten me, so i'm the one he'll most likely want." Max sighs. Ava just doesn't respond and shakes her head.

"He uses my memories against me. But.. only my darkest memories." Max says, "Same with Chrissy and Fred, right?" Max asks, "Right." Ava says. "It's like he only sees the darkness in us." Max says, "So, i'll just run in the opposite direction." She says. "Run to the light." She adds, "And maybe he won't be able to find me there." She says.

"Now, how exactly do you plan on doing this?" Ava asks, "I'm not sure." Max says. "But it's my mind." She says, "Not his, right?" Max says. "So i should be able to control where i am." The redhead says, "I just need to.. push him away." She says. "Find a happy memory and hide there." She adds, nodding slowly. "Hide in the light." She clarifies.