Chapter Twenty-Two: Starcourt Battle

Ava, Max, El, and Mike were all hiding behind a counter, Nancy and Jonathan hiding behind the car El previously flipped.

"It's turned away. If we go up the stairs now, we'll make it." Mike whispers. "What are you thinking? El's leg is injured." Ava responds, trying not to raise her voice. "Yeah, no way, not with El's leg." Max whispers back, "We have to try." Mike whispers.

"There's another way.." El whispers, "To get out." She continues. "Through the gap." She finishes. Mike turns to look over at the Mind Flayer before nodding, "Okay." He whispers.

"Now." He says, Ava and Mike holding El's hand and running to another section of the mall. Max accidentally knocks over a vase, making her shriek before running to hide with Ava, Mike and El.

They're behind the counter, and hear the Mind Flayer snarl and take a dummy, similar looking to El, and throw it into the wall, making the four see it.

As the four are still behind the counter, the Mind Flayer's tentacle looking arm was close, surely going to kill Mike any second if any of them breathed too loudly.

They then hear a balloon pop, making the Mind Flayer's attention go towards it. The Mind Flayer leaves the four kids, and heads towards the sound.

Will, Jonathan, Nancy, and Lucas run to another spot, as well as Ava, Mike, El, and Max. They all return outside, Billy still sitting in his car.

Billy revs his car, looking straight ahead at them. "Shit." Jonathan mumbles, "Get the car started. Go!" Nancy shouts, aiming her gun at the car. Jonathan hops into the car, trying to get it started.

"No, no, no, no, come on!" Jonathan shouts, hitting the wheel. Billy revs once more before speeding towards them, "Come on!" Lucas shouts, "We gotta go!" He finishes.

Nancy starts shooting at the car window, it not affecting Billy. He continues speeding up towards the group, "We gotta go!" Lucas shouts. Billy's car gets close, making Nancy crouch down and shriek.

Before Billy could hit them, he was hit by another car. They all looked at the other car, seeing Steve in the drivers seat and Robin in the passenger seat.

Billy's car then sets on fire, his body not moving currently. Steve and Robin peek their heads out of the car to meet the Mind Flayer. Jonathan and Nancy pull up next to them, "Get in!" Nancy shouts.

"Dusty-bun, you copy?" A voice says in the radio, "I copy, Suzie-poo." The response Dustin gives. "Holy shit it's Suzie." Ava mumbles. "Do you know Planck's constant?" Dustin asks through the radio.

"Do you know the Earth orbits the sun?" Suzie responds, "Okay, so, i know it starts with two sixes, and then a.." Dustin goes on, "W-What is it?" He asks. "Okay, let me just be clear on this.
I haven't heard from you in a week, and now you want a mathematical equation that you should know so you can.. Save the world?" She asks.

"Suzie-poo, i promise, i will make it up to you as soon as possible." Dustin responds, making Ava chuckle. "Oh, you're so cute Maxy-poo." Ava mocks, holding Max's face in her hand. "Stop, you're making me cringe." Max giggles.

"You can make it up to me now." Suzie suggests, "What?" Dustin says, "I want to hear it." She says, "Not right now." He responds worriedly, "Yes now, Dusty-bun." She says. "Suzie-poo, this is urgent." He says, his voice cracking slightly.