11- Ibupfrofen

We were joking around on our way home and it was really fun talking to someone who wasn't my family or in need of my help. Not only was she sweet, but she was quite witty as well. Well, she could be at times. Many of her remarks revolved around my mom, balls, and deez nuts. Honestly, I'm not sure what kind of nuts those are. I feel like Camilo would know, though. I'll ask him when I get a chance.

When we got home, Casita opened the doors right away and we ran inside. We were both soaking wet, but Y/n didn't seem to mind at all, and that made me mind a little less too.

Mamá came running toward me from the living room where the entire family was huddling around tiá Pepa.

"Luisa! Where have you been? What were you thinking, staying out in a storm like this?! Do you know how worried we've been? We were about to start sending people out to look for you!", she scolds me as she cups my face, bringing it down to check for injuries.

"I'm fine má! The townspeople just needed help setting up in case of a hurricane.", I tell her quietly as to not upset my tiá anymore. If she heard that the villagers were scared, then she'd become more worried, and then she'd stress, and then the weather would get even worse.

"Ahh, sometimes I wonder if those people have any decency? Making my daughter work in the rain! What were they thinking?", she mutters angrily, letting go of my face. "Oh, hello y/n!", she greets as she finally realized y/n was here too.

Y/n, who was silently wiping rain off her poncho, turned to look at má. "Hello!"

"What brings you here?"

"She was keeping me company!", I tell má.

"In the rain?", Mirabel asks as she brings us both towels.

"No, in the desert.", Y/n responds as she takes her poncho off and takes the towel.

Mamá and Mirabel look y/n up and down as she dries her hair, I know they're looking at her clothes. Personally, I was too. It looked similar to what I'd seen her wearing last night, but covering more skin.

Y/n looked up to see us looking at her, and when she did, we turned away.

"So, is something upsetting that señora?", she asks while looking at tiá in the other room.

Má pats y/n's cheek then mine, and walks back into the living room. Mirabel follows her and so do I. I turn around to see y/n looking unsure of what to do with herself. I gesture for her to follow, and she hesitantly does.

"You two get warm by the fire.", papa tells us from where he was sitting on the couch.

Y/n goes at sits down next to the fire, but I take a second to look around. The whole family was here alright. Camilo was offering tiá tea, while tío Bruno rubbed her back, and tío Felix massaged her feet. Antonio sat with Mirabel and Dolores on the couch with pa while Isabela sat on the armrest beside him.

Tiá Pepa looked more stressed than I've seen her in a really long time. She was clutching her stomach and her face was riddled with pain.

She looked like she was physically hurting.

"Is something hurting, tiá?", I ask worriedly.

She opens her eyes briefly and I could see that she was on the verge of tears.

"It's her stomach.", Camilo responds for her, "She's been having cramps all morning, but all of a sudden it got worse." He looked really worried for his mamá.

"But she usually gets cramps, but they've never been this bad.", Dolores adds quietly, looking equally worried.

"I've given her fed her everything I've cooked recently, but they aren't helping. I don't know why.", má adds as well.

Abuela, who I just noticed walking in with a plate of biscuits starts taking it around to everyone. "I told her to drink more water.", she says with a sigh.

"I have been!", tiá exclaims before writhing in more agony.

It was silent for a minute, before y/n spoke up.

"If it's period cramps, I have ibuprofen on me."

Everyone turned to look at her wide-eyed. We didn't really talk about periods openly...
I've always kind of thought that it was a secret that only girls knew about. So I guess hearing her say the word so openly caught us off guard.

Y/n looked around and took off her backpack. "Pain killers. I mean I have pain killers. They're great for cramps. They work wonders for me when it's my time of the month. If magic isn't helping you, maybe modern medicine will." She takes a white bottle out of her bag and gets up to take it to tiá. She opens the bottle and takes one of tiá's hands.

Tiá stares at her as she pours two small, brown, round balls into her hand.

"You'll want to drink something to make the pills go down, and I'd suggest you don't keep it in your mouth for long else you'll start to taste it. And trust me, it doesn't tast good."

Tiá Pepa looks at her hand, and I could tell she was thinking about whether or not she should take it.

Slowly, she brought the medicine to her mouth and dropped them in. She took the tea from Camilo and took a few sips and swallowed. Then she sighed and sunk deeper into her chair.

"It didn't work.", she states and starts to look like she might cry again. Thunder shakes the house and I could hear the rain get stronger.

Everyone else looked disappointed it hadn't worked too.

"It's not immediate. You've gotta give it at least twenty minutes. Hopefully, by then you'll start to feel better.", y/n tells her, but she doesn't seem to be listening.

"Thank you for trying.", tío Felix says to y/n.

Y/n nods and goes back to her place beside the fire, putting the bottle back in her bag. I decide to go sit next to her. The fire felt really nice and I realized just how cold I was.

"If she doesn't feel better soon, I'm gonna head out, okay? I need to make sure my stuff's okay.", she whispers to me after a while.

"You can't!", I whisper-shout back.

"Can and will."

"It's dangerous!"

"Well, no shit, Sherlock."

I didn't know what else to say, so with that we both fall quiet again and let the minutes pass.