Life's questions

I managed to entice Pacey into actually working, but he's so easily distracted. Which then distracts me, and I have to refocus, it's exhausting!! I read the assignment aloud again:
'Investigate how people's occupation may affect their state of happiness, interview local professionals and write up an essay depicting how you think someone's job affects their happiness.'
"So who do you think we could interview? Your dad?"
"Please, I could tell you the answer right now! My pop isn't happy, never is. But that has nothing to do with him being Chief Police Officer in Capeside, and EVERYTHING to do with the fact his son is the miserable letdown, otherwise known as Pacey J.Witter." He lets out a nervous laugh, clearly wanting me to think that it's just another one of his lines. Not wanting me to realise how really insecure he is. 
"Fine then, how about Mitch Leery? Maybe we could ask how different things feel when he's gone from being high school football coach to owner of a restaurant?"
"Well sure Y/L/N, that sounds like a fine idea! Talking to Mitch? I can get on board with that."

I start writing down ideas of questions we could ask Mitch and planning out who could do which part of our essay. I decided it'd be best to go for a 70:30 split, that way Pacey does some of the work, but not enough that he can drag down my GPA.
"I'm guessing from the sounds of it that you won't be following in you dad's footsteps like Dougie, then Pace?" I ask, curious to see if I can pry out anymore information. I don't want to make him sad, but I want to know why he hides behind his humour and, I guess, maybe find a way to help him.
"Oh no I'd be thrilled to serve the fine people of Capeside! Law-obiding citizen that I am." He smiles and winks at me. "No Y/L/N, I don't."
"So what do you want to be when you grow up?"
"God, I feel like I'm back in the 3rd grade! I want to be a fireman or a ballerina or a football player." He puts on a baby-ish voice and clasps his hands together. I giggle.

"The truth is, Y/L/N, I don't want to do anything, I want to set sail and have no responsibilities out on the ocean. I'm sure that there'll be far less people I could disappoint out there. What about you?"
"I just want to be someone." I sigh, "I want to feel like I fit somewhere and that I can make a difference, I don't really care how."

"Well that is the cry of a future college philosophy major if ever I heard one! What do you say we get back to social studies?" Pacey says. I nod and lean in towards him, continuing to write while he watches.