Goodbye

The lights came up for the end of the movie and we all started standing up to leave. I looked over to see that where Joey and Dawson were the seats were empty. I guess they had chose to leave after all. Out the front of the movie theatre we said our goodbyes.
'So, fancy saving a girly from a dangerous walk home in the dark, my knight in shining armour?' I teased Pacey. He took out his keys and swung them around his finger, but kept his eyes down and answered with a disgruntled tone.
'Yeah sure, Lindsey you're with me too.'
I could tell he was mad at me, but why? It's not like he ever really liked Joey, and how did he know already? It only happened right before the movie and nobody was talking during it.

This time I asked Jen if I could go in the passenger seat and she gladly agreed. The car ride was eerily silent considering it was Pacey's car, he dropped Jen home first, stopping to look up at Dawson's bedroom window. The light was off but you could see the glare of a TV screen, and the ladder was still there propped up by the side of the house, as always. When we got to mine the brakes of the car squealed and Pacey kept his eyes straight ahead.
'Goodnight then.'
I turned to face him and let out a sigh.
'Pacey what's with you? You won't look at me or speak to me. Just say what it is would you? I rather you yell at me than have this silence!'
'What do you think? Huh Y/N?' It felt strange, he never called me by my first name, he must be mad.
'Dawson is my best friend Y/N and what you said made him and Joey leave. They don't want me to be friends with someone like you. I might've lost him forever just by staying behind to keep watching the film!'
'Then why didn't you just leave? Nobody was holding you hostage, if it was going to be such an issue with Dawson then you could've gone with them!' I was getting angry now, even though I knew it was me in the wrong to start with. I get defensive, I mean it was stupid if he wanted to leave then why didn't he leave?
'But I end up stuck in the middle no matter what    Y/N! Because I stayed Dawson and Joey are mad at me but if I'd have left then I would've upset you, Jack, Andy and Jen. I chose the option that hurt less people, plus I wanted to watch the movie, God knows it would be more fun than playing third wheel with Dawson and Joey.'
'Well I'm sorry Pace.' This time I made it genuine, managing to cool off my temper. 'But you've always hated Joey too, you can't say that what I said wasn't right. I just wish she hadn't overheard it.'
'I've never hated her, I think I loved her, for a long time. But the only way I knew how to cope was to push her away, and I'd have never got a look in. Not with how her and Dawson are.'

Something twisted in my stomach, how could I have missed that was how he really felt about her? Why didn't he feel like that about me?
'I'm sorry Pace, I didn't know. I'll make things easier for you, we don't need to be friends anymore. You don't have to choose or be stuck in the middle. I'll try and apologise to Joey, but I doubt it'll make any difference, like I said she never liked me anyway.'
I didn't give him opportunity to answer, I got straight out of the car and let myself into the house. I could feel the tears burning behind my eyes. Slamming the door behind me I crumbled onto the floor and let the tears fall, I'd been so stupid. It was then I knew how I really felt for him- Pacey. But I'd just gone and said goodbye.